Health & Family What age did you move out and why?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by willister, 12th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

(Now) husband. ;)

Blacky likes this.
  2. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

I moved out at ‘about’ 15.

My folks lived in the city, and I didn’t want to. So packed up and left

I strongly believe parents should get their kids out of the house at age 18. No ifs buts or maybes.

Blacky

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

16 and a half.

Skipped the last year of school and moved out of home to the nearest town - and worked for a year (in which I turned 17) before going to Uni.

Needed to leave to go to Uni anyway (home was rural) I just left a year earlier than usual.

Last edited: 12th Nov, 2018
  4. willister

willister Well-Known Member

These days easier said than done. Cost of living and rent have seriously increased without it being reflected anywhere near in salaries. Today's society is seriously much more different to the 80s and 90s when I grew up. I was walked home by myself from school at age 7, my 15 year old nephew still gets driven to school. I was roaming around till 7pm on my bike at 10 years old in a newly built estate nearby with my friends, some of my nieces and nephews at the same age aren't even trusted playing in the front yard alone with a 2m high fence and security cameras.

When I first rented in 1999 due to circumstances, my parents had long moved to Darwin for business purposes and I couldn't follow them due to the poor state of education and other amenities up there back in the day, I was living with my uncle and aunty at 14. By 16 I had a taste for night life and hanging out beyond 12am with my mates my uncle/aunty wasnt impressed, I was asked to leave or abide by their rules. Two more years down the track, actually 1.5 and I had enough and left.

Looking back though it was very cheap to rent a room in a shared house at the time, I recall $60 a week or so, menial type jobs were somewhat easier to find without so many immigrants and general cost of living was so much easier. I didn't get my P plates till 21 (couldn't afford to) and was given a bomb of a car by a kind friend's father who I initially paid $500 to but he didn't want it in the end for a 1988 Camry. A lot could be crimped and saved back then that I don't think is necessarily do-able these days.

Funny back then the novelty idea was awesome, a lot of my friends were really in awe of freedom and independence but pretty much freaked out I really had to do my own chores and work part time at Safeway twice a week on weekends.

Last edited: 12th Nov, 2018
    jim1964 likes this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Quite a few of those young people ‘doing it tough’ are going on overseas trips, and spending a lot of money on booze every weekend!

Sharing a house is still affordable if you do what I did, and get a part time job while a student.

Angel, kierank and Blacky like this.
  6. willister

willister Well-Known Member

It's just not the "in vogue" thing to do these days. People either do the 2 year working visa thing overseas or stay home - I suppose these days larger McMansion type houses can cater for more luxuries and allow adult kids to stay home longer, plus it seems like there is more of an openness to allow partners to sleep over?

I have an Asian background friend who built a 41 Storey with a Master and Guest room on the bottom and a Master with 3 bedrooms up top. For now, he and his wife sleep on the upper floor with their two sons. When the kids get older they plan to let them have the lower floor bedrooms and have parties etc. and then when they get older move one of the two back up with their wife.

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The sons’ wives may have a different view!

8. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Moved out at 18yrs old
    It was easier to let the our 5 b/r house room by room when I was living there
    But by 20 I was sick and tired of the flatmates so moved into the 2 b/r flat with only one flatmate

9. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Did you buy the house you lived in or rent ?

10. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

So you were the cause of the rents falling lol

11. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

17 moved interstate to start Apprenticeship.

Never looked back & should've done it sooner...

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  12. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

22 straight after uni. Went overseas with a couple of thousand dollars and never looked back.
    Would've left earlier if not for uni, probably should've.

Interesting how so many investors left early - not what I was expecting. Make your own fortune!

kierank likes this.
  13. Coconutwheels

Coconutwheels Well-Known Member

18yrs old, finished high school the year before and then joined the Air Force.

Fortunately for me "rations and quarters" (accomodation and three meals a day) was ridiculously cheap back them............$137/ fortnight! And no cooking, luckily for me, was able save and buy my first place the following year.

Angel and Gockie like this.
  14. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

Moved out of home at 18 years & 3 months old.
    I had just started the 3rd year of my apprenticeship.

15. Touristy

Touristy Active Member

19, was told by my mother it was getting sold and i had to get out, so i brought it and told her to get out. Not as bad as it sounds:rolleyes:

16. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Mother moved in with boyfriend, I was less than 16 so couldn't sign a lease.
    Was amazed when friends parents helped her to move house and even brought dinner!
    Haven't looked backwards since!

17. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Moved to Australia at 17, but I lived with my sister to for a while so that doesn't count?
    Moved with now hubby at 21 after uni graduation.

18. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I moved out late, about 25. Parents live in middle suburban Sydney in a nice enough area and I spent way too long at uni.
    Moved in with boyfriend.

41 levels?!

My sister and her husband are planning to renovate their house so their son will live in the upstairs of the house when he is an adult and they will live downstairs. He is not quite 2 yet but my sister reckons Sydney house prices would be stupidly unaffordable for the son when he is an adult.

19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Move out - and overseas (NZ to Aust) - at 18 - married at 19 ... basically parents were sooooo strict in those days

20. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Moved out at 17 with boyfriend and worked full time.