What a rout! WA state election

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Beginner1, 14th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Recent poll has NSW premier up around over 70-ish percent too

Shazz@ likes this.
  2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Because they didn't know it was going to be one case. That one person visited almost 20 places whilst infectious for days. There could have been contact with 2-5 people at each of those places who could have then had the virus and so on. The statistical modelling on the potential outbreak that one person could have caused was not pretty. It was only because he wasn't a "spreader" that it didn't turn into a complete **** show

As more and more people get the vaccine the risk reduces but I would say it's likely we are going to still have to experiences lockdowns of some duration and potentially multiple times until the end of the year.

Last edited by a moderator: 14th Mar, 2021
    Perthguy, Joynz, Lizzie and 3 others like this.
  3. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

It seems to me that the standards have been set for each state and territory on how they think it’s best to manage covid. It’s great that we are all here supporting our state leaders- the decisions they have had to make along the way have not been easy.

However, I think all the states, and Australia in general, have put the LIVES of their citizen first. I think it’s unfair to label certain states to not have done so if they didn’t go down the lockdown path. We have to remember that we have done an outstanding job compared to some of the other nations.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. The lockdown in WA may have prevented an uncontrollable outbreak. On the flip side, not locking down in NSW didn’t lead to any further deaths or a bigger outbreak. 2 different approaches with the same result (if our measure of success in the death rate).

In terms of the effects on the economy, like others have said, we will not know the impact for many years, but it’s not something that should be dismissed. Spare a thought for our younger generation who will be picking up the tab for this.

Firefly99, Lizzie and MTR like this.
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Unless we have two Australias I don't think we will ever be able to work out which was the right answer. I can see 2 negative sides to both options 1. that rampant infection affects an open economy and that 2. saving lives and locking down affects a closed economy. Both have an economical impact.

But over all most States are doing pretty well with their individual responses and economies. Each state is unique in terms of geography, population, risks and economy. I don't think they are going to get it right 100% of the time - probably not even 90% of the time.

I think Australia has done an outstanding job and will recover much faster than other countries because of that.

5. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

Exactly.

It’s possible we had the lockdown over whole metro area because the person went to so many different areas - North, South, West & East.

If it was someone like me, I pretty much stay within a relatively small ring from home, so future lockdowns may be for a smaller area.

wylie, Shogun and kierank like this.
  6. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

As we all know, taxpayers pick up the tab for Government debt. History is full of taxpayers picking up this tab after major global events.

My generation and my parents’ generation had to pick up the tab for WW2.

I don’t know the numbers for Australia but the UK took 66 years to pay off that country’s debt, from 1950 to 2016.

I don’t think Australian taxpayers will be picking up the tab for our COVID debt for that long.

7. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I completely disagree with newspapers outright telling people who to vote for. How is that not an abuse of their position. People should be informed of policies so we can decide how to vote, not told who to vote for. They should cop a big fine for this imo

[​IMG]

shorty and Millie like this.
  8. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

As per my earlier comment, this used to exercise me especially when they lied through their teeth. But this election has shown that no one cares what they think and that is good news.

9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

People don't pay much attention to newspapers IMO. They're much more.likely to get their news from their social media mates. And maybe TV news.

When they do read newspapers (probably online) they'll probably choose newspapers which are in line with their political leanings.

10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Screenshot_2021-03-15-10-23-48-86.jpg

There wasn't a time shown on these results.

11. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

WA loves a lockdown - anything to get closer to seceding. It is probably fair to compare NSW and VIC as the most similar. NSW did excellent at contact tracing. Quarantine and borders were similar to VIC (except the ruby princess, that was very poorly handled). VIC's contract tracing was next to useless.

While Dan Andrews is copping some flack from the media, he is still polling very well I believe.

Seems like the most significant factor in these elections (and will be true of the federal election too) is incredibly poor opposition.

kierank, Lizzie, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  12. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Anecdotally it seems that every state premier has done a good job in the eyes of most of thier constituents.
    By extension I'd be surprised if there is a change in federal goverment at the next election.

What will be interestingly over the next year or so is how the 'lock down at all costs to save us' states deal with the opening of international borders - which if Im not mistaken is a federal decision.

There are no mechanisms to monitor or control domestic travel movements for these international arrivals beyond simply closing ones state border entirely.
    States such as WA are going to have to learn to live with and actually manage the existance of the virus (millions of Australians will forever remain unvaccinated), or remain closed off indefinatly.

MTR and inertia like this.
  13. Absent

Absent Well-Known Member

Maybe. Though polls proved less than useless last time, an early election looks less and less likely.

PM’s Newspoll rape allegation shock

Scott Morrison has recorded the worst Newspoll result since the 2019 bushfires and his Hawaiian holiday after a month of controversy over an alleged rape at Parliament House and the furore over the fate of the Attorney-General Christian Porter.

In the latest Newspoll, published exclusively in The Australian, Labor leader Anthony Albanese has secured an election winning lead in the two-party preferred vote with a 52:48 result.

inertia likes this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Federal will be interesting - Scotty lost a lot of cred during the bushfires ... his bagging of the State Premiers in their early handling of Covid ... and now his handling of the rape/abuse/harassment charges (granted, Labour has issues too but they're not "in government"), including NOT meeting with the rally leaders but rather insisting they come to his office instead.

Toss in the party's "head in the sand" attitude towards renewables (not simply climate change but rather the transition itself) and the pittance increase for the unemployed.

The LNP seems to be very out of touch with what is important to many Australians ... but Labor will need to put up a decent alternative

Perthguy likes this.
  15. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

One could argue, that the rally leaders are choosing to miss out on a meaningful discussion with the PM, all they are really wanting is some more time in the spotlight?

16. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

That’s incorrect, there was a WAXIT party in Saturday’s election, which received very little support.

17. Absent

Absent Well-Known Member

You think, with all that's going on in parliament house, that "all they are really wanting is some more time in the spotlight?"

I'm surprised the protest leader felt safe enough to go inside at all. Why would they go into a building where, instead of calling the police after finding Ms Higgins, they called the steam cleaners?

Why does Morrison want his views and lack of action expressed behind closed doors and not on record? The PM serves us, the people. If John Howard can address a protest against gun laws in a bullet-proof vest why can't Morrison go out and speak with protestors for women's justice? REVEALED: John Howard's biggest regret as Prime Minister

It was gutless.

Last edited by a moderator: 15th Mar, 2021
    Ketsle, Lizzie and Patrico1966 like this.
  18. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I agree with all of this. Add to that: in WA, the Feds joining with Palmer for the challenge of WA border closures did not sit well with people, including rusted on Liberal voters.

There are also a lot of Australians grumpy about NBN who blame the Liberal party. Although I find it great!

19. Beginner1

Beginner1 Well-Known Member

Thanks Geoff - interesting times!

20. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

The politics of fear worked. The opposition leaders of WA, QLD and ViC need to work harder.