What a rout! WA state election

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Beginner1, 14th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

You haven’t allowed for the difference in the incoming overseas passenger load.

2. bamp

bamp Well-Known Member

America is the only place where this doesn't appear to be true - I guess they value money more than life

3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Are you saying that NSW quarantines processes weren't perfect either?

I agree with you.

4. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Nice try. No, I am saying that risk of COVID spreading to the community is exacerbated by the positive cases brought in from overseas passengers. The risk factor is higher in NSW versus the other states. So your numbers need adjusting by applying this factor.

5. kierank

IMHO, America has a long way to go before they get to the other side.

1,000 to 1,500 Americans are still dying every day from COVID, even though they have vaccinated 20% of their population. A lot better than 4,000 deaths per day but they still have a long way to go.

We all know the death impact of their COVID decisions. Absolutely awful for a first world country.

It will be interesting to see the economic impact of their COVID decisions, when all of this is over.

6. kierank

If NSW quarantine was perfect, then this wouldn't be a problem.

I believe:
    To be fair, none so far have been, some have been better than others.

Firefly99 likes this.
  7. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

NSW didn't achieve the least deaths, they DID successfully balance minimal infections for minimal disruption to the economy which was a sensible objective.
    Avoiding the problem completley by locking down a city for a single case is not the same as actually managing the problem.

By McGowan (and his supporters) logic shouldn't all cars be ordered off the road too, thus achieving zero road deaths?

Last edited: 14th Mar, 2021
    MTR likes this.
  8. kierank

Not if you were one of the 54 in NSW who died :rolleyes:

Absent likes this.
  9. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Unfortunate indeed. 54 in isolation is terrible, 54 in the context of 8.2 million more or less going about thier normal lives is not quite as headline grabbing though is it.

What about the 24 WA road deaths last year though? Why not order all cars off the road to bring that to zero?

10. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    It will be interesting to see whether WA voters replicate their votes for Labor in the federal election. If that is the case the Liberal government will be on shaky grounds and it hasn't been helped lately with the scandals surrounding Christian Porter and Linda Reynolds.

11. Patrico1966

Patrico1966 Well-Known Member

McGowan is no star, far from it. He had nothing to beat, probably the worst opposition in Australian political history. All he had to do was shut the borders, nothing brilliant about that. Being Isolated helped that as well. I think he will be in power for at least another 5 years probably more. Scotty from marketing will win easily as well, nothing to beat.

MTR likes this.
  12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It's apples and oranges though. Road deaths will not grow exponentially, like the virus does, as has happened in other countries who've not taken measures to slow the spread of the virus.

mtat, datto and Absent like this.
  13. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

They won't replicate votes federally but Morrison backing Palmer in the challenge of border closures will hurt the Libs federally. That move was deeply unpopular in WA

datto and 2FAST4U like this.
  14. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

shorty likes this.
  15. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Completely agree! Except..... its fair to say the likes of the US didnt really manage it at all once the virus got in.
    NSW didnt see exponential growth with thier outbreaks because it was well managed. WA didnt really manage it so much as they just tried to hide from it at all costs.

Eventually it will have to be confronted however as years from now in a post vaccine world there will still be isolated cases pop up. Is the answer going to be to keep sending entire cities into weeklong lockdowns each time an individual case pops up?

NSW at least took the line of accepting the virus exists, life must go on in a risk assessed way that doesnt swamp the medical system.

Remeber the goal of flattening the curve? When did the goal become eradication at all costs? When premiers egos came into it I suspect.

The road death comparison was to point out the folly of relying on complete eradication.

MTR likes this.
  16. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Marko will be the next PM!?:eek:

17. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

That explains why the president of a country is now permanent:D

18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would assume once people are having vaccinations, that the fast and hard lockdowns may not be required. Lots of vaccinated people would mean less risk of ICU beds being swamped by those needing them.

It's a big learning curve though.

Absent likes this.
  19. kierank

I didn’t reply to your first posting because I thought that comment was non-sensical.
    Exactly and one would have thought it was common sense. Apparently not.
    Once again, exactly. Once again, one would have thought it was common sense. Once again, apparently not.

Last edited by a moderator: 14th Mar, 2021
    Absent likes this.
  20. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

So what was the point of McGowans hard and fast week long lock down of an entire city for one single case?
    With only 75% of the population intending to get the vacine that will still leave approx 500,000 unvaccinated people in the Perth metropolitan area alone will it not?

Common sense would dictate the need to confront and manage the virus, not lock down each an everytime a case pops up.

I agree that ordering every car off the road to prevent a single death is stupid, but its the same stupidy being applied by some state premiers in order to prevent a single covid death rather than flattening the curve to prevent medical resources being over run.

I dont think Sydney locked down in its entirety once yet the medical facilites coped just fine.
    They sought to manage risk and confront reality rather than hiding from it.

MTR likes this.