WFH expectations

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Gockie, 24th Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

An email was sent out in my company. One thing it said was that there is no expectation for anybody to work in the Sydney office till Christmas shutdown is over.
    Main concerns:
    1. Young kids and elderly
    2. Employee safety
    3. Public Transport

Staff will also have to be fully vaccinated for customer facing roles.

Last edited: 24th Nov, 2021
  2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The big concern for the health system is what will happen when people are let lose two weeks before Christmas.

Suspecting WFH will continue to be a thing unlimited into the future - and companies will downsize their premises. There will remain an option to go into the office for those who find WFH difficult (young kids, small apartment etc), but will be interesting to see the actual return.

Hubby is loving WFH. Goes for a surf several times a day if it's on - walks the dogs - has a nap ... although does work 6.5 days a week when a deadline is coming up. He goes into the actual office 1-2 times a week when physical "stuff" is required - and, I'm now kinda getting used to having underfoot (although do love that 1-2 days)

Last edited by a moderator: 22nd Dec, 2023
    craigc and Gockie like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Same story in our office - office is out until January. I don't need to go to the office & will continue to avoid it as long as possible.

Mandated vaccines for the industry.

bmc and Gockie like this.
  4. Gockie

At the moment its a case of show that you are fully vaxxed if you are coming into the office.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

We were able to go back to the office from Monday this week - if fully vaxxed.

However, eventually, all staff will be required to work in the office for a minimum period each week (2 days a week for full time or staff working four days a week, 1 day a week for people working fewer days).

It’s to encourage connection, communication, workplace camaraderie, and creativity.

craigc likes this.
  6. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

I interviewed for a Commonwealth job last Friday ( please cross collective fingers PC) and they told me the job would be three days in the office and two days WFH, I was/am intrigued, I’ve never WFH before.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Which bit is more challenging - the 'working' or 'from home'? :confused:

8. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Must be the second, obviously you must have missed “Commonwealth job” :p:p:p

Scott No Mates likes this.
  9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Do you have to WFH on those two days or is it a choice?

10. Squirrell

Squirrell Well-Known Member

Similar to nab in melbourne. Backs up my theory, wfh will continue to benefit commutable areas up to 90 mins from cbd, but any further the effect is watered down. All the big head offices still in melb/syd. Cant commute from the gold coast. So remains to be seen whether those areas can continue to pull big numbers on lifestyle and service jobs alone.

11. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

Sorry, just saw the responses! No, have not missed out still waiting for the decision! They requested my referees last week so I am still hoping, they quoted a ten day turn around so please keep fingers crossed!
    @Joynz, they never told me either way, ie, it was not offered as a choice, it was offered as a statement.
    I think I would really enjoy WFH as I am an early riser and a 9 am start is near lunch time for me, I was just surprised as I had never done it, been offered it, or considered it. I will keep you posted and hope to hear something over the next three working days!!!!!!

Gockie and Lizzie like this.
  12. Truly Exotic

Truly Exotic Well-Known Member

personally, I am old fashioned, and any days Work from home is a bonus, is not to be expected but a privilege

I would slap those employees that demand a payrise because they are working from home and costing the employer less in rent/electricity

13. Gockie

One problem with wfh… tonight I finished at ~6.45pm just doing work and I log in and start working possibly 45 or so minutes earlier each day than if I would if I worked in the office. So, they are actually getting a lot more hours out of me. I think I’m actually more effective working this way too to be honest.

Observer likes this.
  14. Alex AB

Alex AB Well-Known Member

Definitely longer working hours for me too, plus no travel time but I do have flexibility to go for a walk during the day or do something at home though.

Observer and Gockie like this.
  15. Gockie

Yes true. One small example is I can cook lunch (and not just using a microwave!) and while doing that, pack and start my home dishwasher in my lunch break. I like the lack of commute. Oh, and dress comfy all the time. Leggings and long sleeve tees are my go to.

Observer likes this.
  16. Alex AB

Alex AB Well-Known Member

Yeah. I like wfh now too but still think 1-2 days a week in the office is most optimal. Still need that social / connection for team bonding.

17. Gockie

Won’t disagree here. :)

18. Observer

Observer Well-Known Member

Same story in our company among 5 IT teams in the region. People love working from home, company is happy with employees performance and rent savings. We’ve been working 100% remote from the start of this pandemic and there are no plans to get back to the office in any shape or form. Win-win.

TAJ and Gockie like this.
  19. Squirrell

Squirrell Well-Known Member

And those extra emails you sent have created more work for your colleagues. I wake up to more emails than i ever did pre covid.

20. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I imagine office politics is very different when working online vs f2f. Online leaves a trail of evidence.....

The Y-man