Wet markets up and running again!

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Serveman, 29th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Serveman likes this.
  2. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

I cant comment about crocs, but fish eat smaller fish that are herbivores. The problem if you go to Wuhan is that they keep animals like dogs alive that have diseases like distemper, and then slowly cook them while they are still alive, pretty awful mate.

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Not so smart they have also opened the wet markets. I would have thought after 3 different virus outbreaks they would learn something.

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Wet markets are just markets which sell fresh meat, fish and poultry. They are common in many parts of the world, they're just normally known under a different term. People need these things as a part of their normal diet.

The problem with Wuhan hasn't been the fact that they sell fresh meat, it's the meats that they sell, and the selling of live animals with associated cruelty.

If they can regulate what's been sold so that it's only meat and not live animals, restrict the meat which can be sold, and control the condition it's kept, there shouldn't be a problem.

Perp likes this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

problem is the government is not doing this

Last edited by a moderator: 12th Apr, 2020
  6. geoffw

My apologies, I reacted to what you said, which was about opening the markets, not about regulating them:

Last edited by a moderator: 12th Apr, 2020
    shorty likes this.
  7. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

The re-opening of these markets sound more like monumental stupidity, as opposed to ensuring food security. Is there any possible reason that half a kilo of python, Lassie thigh fillets or Moggie cheek might be urgently required. Surely there are enough variants of staples to avoid imminent starvation.

Surely no-one will be interested in Charcoal Bat Surprise after the local bat colonies have been depopulated with the help of a few flamethrowers...

Serveman and MTR like this.
  8. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

As Geoff said, wet markets are just markets where meat and other non-dry goods are sold. South Melbourne market is a wet market. The issue is exotic animals at wet markets, which needs to be regulated.

The US has a bird flu outbreak at the moment as well - should they permanently close all their poultry markets?

Perp, wylie and geoffw like this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

i think no one is disputing that the wet markets need to be regulated. There is a separate thread on this

This is what they are doing in US to manage this.
    Not an expert but I expect we have similar reg bodies in place in Oz

Another virus has been detected in the US, and this one is bad news for chickens

Last edited: 15th Apr, 2020
    Ted Varrick likes this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

11. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

It's just like alcohol. If you ban it, it goes underground, you have a bigger problem.

12. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

You are saying you think China should close down all wet markets. Not all wet markets in China sell exotic animals, and people (particularly poor people) rely on them to buy affordable food. Closing down all wet markets would be like closing down all fresh food markets in Australia and only having supermarkets (as Frydenberg would, or should know unless his advisors are hopeless).

Closing all wet markets in China is never going to happen. What needs to happen is better regulation of them to remove the exotic animals, which are the actual problem, not the markets themselves.

Perp, wylie, The Y-man and 1 other person like this.
  13. Ted Varrick

I thought, and I may be wrong, that the South Melbourne market might be like any other market, where on offer might be cheap trackies, bogus Uggs, and chips on a stick, but I wasn't aware that fresh elephants balls on toast was also available, but there you go.

Hopefully those US birds aren't in New York, as their chances in Ventilator triage are probably a bit slim at present.

Last edited: 15th Apr, 2020
  14. Ted Varrick

So what would be available in those markets for those poor people, after removing all the exotic animals?
    And, note that I agree with you 100%, given I said in Post # 47 " Surely there are enough variants of staples to avoid imminent starvation".

Better regulation seems a difficult concept for the said authorities, given the prior issues with fake baby formula, "Apple" stores, and "Toyota Landcruisers", that aren't quite "Apple" and aren't quite "Toyota", and aren't quite "Landcruisers", and the former being something that no-one should feed to their baby.

15. geoffw

I hadn't realised that "wet markets" sometimes also slaughter animals on the spot
    'Wet markets' likely launched the coronavirus. Here's what you need to know.

However, I've seen the equivalent of wet markets around Latin America, Asia and the Middle East, where the meat is on display without refrigeration, and frequently in the open with flies. So perhaps it's safer to consume meat on the spot, as long as it's done humanely.

I've never seen a market with anything more exotic than camel, though it's possible that it wouldn't be possible to tell.

Perp likes this.
  16. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Two people were executed and half a dozen jailed for life over that.

Chicken, pork, vegetables, tofu, etc. I've been to a few in my time. The hygiene is definitely below western standards but everything is very fresh.

Perp likes this.
  17. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

Animals are slaughtered on the spot to ensure that the meat are fresh. It is like going to Chinese restaurant and order steamed fish + lobster + crabs. They get it out of aquariums and show you that they are live, before going back to kitchen to slaughter and cook for consumption.

It is very common for chicken to be slaughtered on the spot on wet markets once you order them.

Ultimately as long as the exotic animals are not sold on wet markets, or those exotic animals are highly regulated, I am fine with it.

Perp and shorty like this.
  18. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

It's the hygiene and the way they keep animals, besides the illegal importation. They prepare animals for consumption right next to caca. It's mother nature telling the rest of the world that what's going on there shouldn't be. You don't see these diseases unleashing in well kept zoos where exotic animals are held ?

MTR and Serveman like this.
  19. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Ever been to a wet market?

Perp likes this.
  20. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

Plenty but what's that got to do with the way the CPC allow people to operate in Wuhan ?

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia