Westpac!

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Till Kingdom Come, 28th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

Sellers may be willing to do this in a rising market but if things turn bad they will want to cash the guarantee and seek further costs.

2. Doraemon

Doraemon Active Member

Has anyone here heard anything about WBC may in the near future hike up their variables rates by a whole 1% on foreign income investors, and 0.35 on investors with local income?

3. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

i'm wondering if a rate cut is "likely" and banks are simply keeping rates steady, by default, on speculators on advice from APRA....

4. womble66

womble66 Well-Known Member

I can't do much about any APRA enforced changes that WBC may like to choose to implement, including any additional grab for profit that may be included under the guise of this change, but where is the evidence they will also be reclaiming any additional negotiated discount on existing Premier Advantage package?

Both my loans are IO but I chose to stop renting one of the IPs and subsequently moved into it as my PPOR and dumped 100% equivalent funds in the offset so in theory pay $0 interest but other than advise WBC of the change of address I never changed the status of the property in relation to being an IP or PPOR for the purpose of the loan as I may move out in the future.

Be interesting what impact the new APRA changes will have on my current setup in respect to how WBC will change the rates for the loans based on being a PPOR or IP or if hey will force me into a position where I don't want to be :(

5. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

None yet thankfully... just expanding on posts by Mick and Peter on the first page.

In the scheme of things, interest rate rises aren't that big a deal. Tighter serviceability calcs and LVR limitations, on the other hand, ARE a big deal :( Broker told me no more topups... (in my particular setup)

6. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

I've had the same thought, the RBA have openly discussed "working with other regulators" in relation to booming property prices.....

7. Till Kingdom Come

Till Kingdom Come Well-Known Member

The Council of Financial Regulators (RBA-APRA-ASIC) have been saying that for many months already.

Many investors have not been paying attention and instead were still living in La La Land of rainbow lollipops and unicorns.

8. Till Kingdom Come

Once they are confident they have the property popcorn under control, the RBA can resume the rate cuts and the banks will pass it only to owner occupiers.

The next competitive battleground among banks is the OwnOcc loan market.

9. Hanison

Hanison Well-Known Member

Brady likes this.
  10. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

If this dampening of investor lending continues, and ramps up further, another battleground "may" be amongst prospective tenants trying to find a property to house themselves in.

" today tonight reports the ever growing lack of rental property available as landlords raise rents, creating bidding wars amongst tenants to secure a lease"

Fast forward 12-24months.....it could happen......

If it does, then what happens, restrictions on lenders ease?

Back to business as usual?

11. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I had a recent open for one of mine, 19 groups through in 15 minutes... had a flood of applications the following Monday. Friend experienced worse recently but from the tenant side of things

Raising the rent on one of my others, don't see any need to be ng if I don't have to be...

12. Cadbury99

Cadbury99 Well-Known Member

13. Till Kingdom Come

14. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Wow that was fast

15. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Effective from 10 August 2015, the standard variable interest rate on Westpac residential investment property loans for new

customers will increase by 0.27%. For existing customers the increase will be effective 25 September 2015. In addition, our

fixed rates on residential investment property loans will increase by up to 0.30%, effective 4 August 2015.

However, we are pleased to announce that we will be decreasing the fixed rates on owner occupier home loans by up to

0.30%, effective 4 August 2015.

16. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Capping what at 80% joanmc, what ever it is the answer is probably no

17. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

When it's costing the company millions, you'll be surprised how quick they can implement I.T. changes.

18. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

or more like, how confident they are that they can implement the changes in 8 weeks' time...

19. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I think everyone needs to calm down a little bit here. This is Westpac we are talking about.

First they will attempt to apply the increased rate, however they will misplace the paperwork and cause a months delay.

Then they will submit the wrong changes and perhaps increase the fee on withdrawals by mistake. That will take at least 3000 complaints before they recognise their mistake and say 3 months to fix up.

Next they will attempt to implement changes in the wrong country...etc...

My estimate is we will see these changes successfully implemented in around 10 years time.

He Man, joanmc and chylld like this.