Westpac expense verification

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by big_ben02, 1st Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. big_ben02

big_ben02 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I am applying for a new home loan through Westpac. I am dealing with my business banking manager as we also have some business loans with them.

They have asked for 12 months of statements for my accounts/loans held with other institutions.

In terms of expenses verification - will they only look at the last 3 months, or are they likely to go beyond that?

My average expenses for the last 3 months have been lower than the average of the 12 months.

Thanks,
    Ben

2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Seems excessive- most lenders require 90 days

Cheers

Jamie

big_ben02 likes this.
  3. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

And westpac don’t need transaction accounts for expense verification, yet...

I’d say your being asked to provide them for another reason. Perhaps income verification if you haven’t done 2018 tax returns, or maybe something to do with business banking.

big_ben02 likes this.
  4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

One of my IPs is with Westpac. I'm attempting to negotiate a lower IR. One of the things they wanted was in relation to expenses. My reply to them was:
    My response to advising you of how much I pay for “Child Care, Education, Groceries, Insurance, Medical, Healthcare, Recreation, Entertainment, Transport, Clothing, Personal Care, Telephone, Internet, Pay TV and Media Subscriptions” is NO because:
    1. I don’t know
    2. I don’t care
    3. I’m not interested in finding out (If we need or want anything, we just buy it)
    4. I don’t want to waste my time finding out

It's been less than 24 hours since I sent this to them - I'll be interested in their response :)

5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Biz banking tells me that you are applying for a non resi product, a property with a corporate trustee or something else that cant go through Adelaide credit

so there is a reason why they want the 12 mths and its not personal expenses

ta

rolf

6. Rolf Latham

Sounds more like a new loan app than a reprice then.............

ta

rolf

7. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

That's what I thought too @Rolf Latham. I think I just got sent the standard email they send out to people wanting to refinance and new borrowers. I'm still waiting to see how they handle my recalcitrant attitude :)

kierank likes this.
  8. Rolf Latham

with such big words you must have gone to the same skool as Paull Keating :)

ta
    rolf

kierank likes this.
  9. big_ben02

big_ben02 Well-Known Member

Thanks, the loan is a residential home loan for a house purchase but I am effectively self employed as my company (I.e I am director and my family trust is the shareholder) is a partner in a professional services firm from which I receive wages and drawings /dividends.

Westpac is the firms banker and we have an existing relationship with this particular bank manager so they have my business debt (held in my family trust) and it makes sense to apply for the home loan through them as well.

I was just curious as to how they reviewed my expenses, and from what you've said, providing 12 months of statements is for reasons other than expense verification.

Ben

10. Rolf Latham

I can see how that makes sense from the outside...........

Objectively, if a borrower has a choice, best business practice, and finance risk management demands split banking

That is have your business banking with lender x, and your PPOR and investments with any other lender.

The last person you want to know about your SE incomes is your portfolio banker...........

I have seen this destroy more than one family

ta
    rolf

tobe, Terry_w and kierank like this.
  11. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Love it, I really interested to hear their response.

12. Rolf Latham

As an aside, commercial bankers and many brokers dont like the split banking thing bit......... since THEIR risk management training is opposite to your ideal outcomes - they are trained for " maximum contribution"

13. Simon Moore

Simon Moore Residential & Commercial Mortgage Broker Business Member

Level 2 287 Collins St Melbourne VIC 3000
    In the future when getting a business loan read the documents very carefully, they will try to tie your house in.