NSW Western Sydney

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Jeah_, 2nd Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jeah_

Jeah_ Well-Known Member

I've been looking into a mixed kind of strategy of decent rental yield, mixed with capital growth. n my research of suburbs, I've been looking at suburbs that have good ratio of rental return vs median property price with good CG forecasts (according to myrpdata).

Surprisingly (to me anyway), the suburbs that keep popping up are Willmot, Tregear, Lethbridge Park, Hebersham, Emerton, Dharruk, Shalvey etc.

Maybe it's my history with the area, or me just being a snob, but I would have never dreamed of looking in those areas. Has anyone else looked into these areas? Does anyone have properties in these areas? If yes, how do you find the tenants? Issues?

Thanks in advance.

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Jeah. Jeah, Jeah. Those suburbs you mentioned are like sweet music to my ears. Like words to a poem I once wrote to my sweetheart as a ten year old.

Yes, yes and yes. I do own property there in that glorious land of the west. I don't like to brag but 500 % cg with 20% yield is what some people who invested at the right time are achieving.

Choose your tenants wisely for there are wolves in sheep clothing out there. Avoid anyone in uggboots and flanno shirt claiming to be an engineer for they are surely trying to pull the wool over.

Good luck in your quest.

Jeah_ likes this.
  3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Hi Jeah. Those suburbs are good for capital growth, if you had bought there 3-4 years ago. Now its at the top of the price cycle.

Phantom and Jeah_ like this.
  4. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Agree with @DaveM. A few years ago they were great buys. A few years before that (6-8 years) the prices there were hard to believe they were part of Sydney. Today, they barely trail surrounding areas because as they prices of better suburbs rose buyers were priced out and then flooded those areas pushing the prices past what I think they're actually worth. I think these areas will be ones that might feel the heat when the market slows.
    From an investor point of view as @datto said be very careful with tenants. If you must invest there get the best possible PM and scrutinise the soul out of any tenant application triple checking job backgrounds and previous rental history. A friend of mine had 3 in Willmot. An experienced investor. He had a very hard time with tenants. With one actually burning the house down after receiving an eviction notice.

Jeah_ likes this.
  5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I love, love, love the West! Three recent sales, but still holding others. As with all area's, make sure you've got a good PM. It's not just the West that has sheep in wolves' clothing.:D

Jeah_ likes this.
  6. Jeah_

Jeah_ Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm just researching at the moment, and learning. The advice I've gleaned just in the past week from this site has been invaluable, but has highlighted to me how much I don't know and how much more work I have to do.. :/

7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

If you're new, and looking to buy into the area, I'd suggest to wait a few years, when property is on the nose.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.