QLD Western Suburbs little gem- Kenmore

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Paws of Fury, 16th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Paws of Fury

Paws of Fury Active Member

We lived in Chapel Hill for half a decade and after struggling with public transport and traffic we eventually sold up and moved on. Overall the neighbours were the only good bit about CH. The terrible public transport, lack of amenities, muggy/hot weather half the year, large but substandard low quality tired properties made the suburb feel forgotten and rather second class.

Recently we stayed over at a friends place in Kenmore overnight after too many drinks and hopped on the bus for CBD Monday morning. We couldn't believe the stark difference in public transport services between Chapel Hill and Kenmore. Also was pleasantly surprised at the many amenities, shops, restaurents, schools etc.
    Seemed like houses were built modest but have had a lot more money spent in recent years leading to some solid growth. Have since been watching the market there and looks like stock moves a lot faster than Chapel Hill. Cant believe we never took note of this hidden gem before. Seems like excellent value for money right next to Fig Tree pocket and indooroopilly! Would be great to hear from anyone with properties in Kenmore who may have seen good growth short or long term? Cheers!

2. MyCastle

MyCastle Active Member

Hi Paws of Fury, thanks for sharing your view about Kenmore. We purchased our Kenmore investment property back in 2015. The property is in between Kenmore State School and Kenmore State High School. I read from the statistics that Kenmore seems to perform well. For our property, I reckon our purchase price was a bit high. So the growth in 3 years is probably just 10%. The other thing is the rent did not change.
    I am still not sure which part of Kenmore is better. Seems close to Brisbane river is more popular. Personally I think walking distance to the shopping area is better but other buyers not necessarily have the same view. And the price varied quite a lot within the same suburb for the same bedroom configuration.
    When we purchased in Kenmore, from different review, seems the traffic was a concern (We are buyers from Sydney). Not sure if it has been improved. From your post seems it is better now? Which part of Kenmore is more popular in your view?

3. Paws of Fury

Paws of Fury Active Member

Hi MyCastle Thanks for sharing your experience.
    I've been studying Kenmore for just over a month now. After the horrid Chapel Hill experience we decided not to put in any money in the western suburbs but we're now considering Kenmore because of the much better public transport, shopping, restaurants and schools and was looking for some reassurance before pulling the trigger. It seems like the houses near Kenmore South state school and south of Kersley rd and gem rd have been selling well and seem more prestige with some large old houses and decent new builds as well. Surprisingly looks like the houses closer to Kenmore state school and shopping villages sell cheaper and less desired maybe because they are old, small and very plain jane?
    I'm looking at two properties this weekend with direct buses to UQ... might get good growth! On paper Kenmore seems like a solid performer. Would love to hear some more about it though. Cheers!

4. pbja23

pbja23 Member

I would have thought public transport from Kenmore to the CBD would go through Chapel Hill (along Moggil Road). Or are you referring to public transport within the suburb, ie buses from CBD that goes to streets within Chapel Hill/Kenmore?