Westconnex affecting house prices

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Lizzie, 20th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The scare-monger-ers are at it again.

House prices fall dramatically in Sydney suburbs affected by WestConnex project

I don't know Sydney, and try to avoid it at all cost, but inner city is inner city and I can't see the prices being down for long - with every major infrastructure change, there is always a ruckus during the build process but, once it settles, life does return to normal. Inner city will always be desirable.

Tempted to go shopping in St Peters

neK likes this.
  2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Probably time to buy St Peters indeed :D
    The light rail project for the eastern suburb for example, it affect all the business around it badly but I think once it's all done everything is just going to get more expensive.

3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Not sure about this...if your house happens to end up on top of the freeway/tunnel or close to a ventilation stack or the interchange, that will absolutely affect the price and desirability.

I also feel for nervous owners in Rozelle/Lilyfield...what the Gov is planning (underfoot) there is a complete, diabolical, web tangled nightmare. Lilyfield is currently a fantastic, sought after suburb but who knows for how long.

4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

The light rail project is perceived to be a lot less offensive than the Westconnex.

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

The aircraft noise in a lot of St Peters is unbearable though. That has a much bigger impact than the road infrastructure.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If only the residents had read the road planning maps from the Roads Department prepared in the 1950's. It was all clearly shown, no legislation repealed.

The biggest change is that it is now underground at a lesser social cost to the community but a much greater construction cost.

The road corridor had always been there but not finalised.

Dig out a copy of the UBD or Gregory's published back then, it shows the road planning of the time.

My parents & their friends were told to avoid certain streets or numbers in their suburb - unfortunately the proposal has shifted some of the roads (to directly below their house) but at 40m depth, wheeled vehicles aren't going to impact whatsoever. Back then, even Haberfield Demonstration School (now Haberfield PS).

There's a Wee bit of aircraft noise through Rozelle /Lilyfield too.

7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

those old corridors that are marked as "proposed" are they fairly accurate and stick to this day? baderys creek would be on an old version wouldn't it?
    Was the UBD the "hotspotting" cheat book before guru's and wizards came along??

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I used to joke with one of my old project managers that his old Gregory's said 'proposed Harbour Bridge' - it wasn't quite that old but still showed freeway extensions from Concord to the city, Castlereagh Freeway, Figtree Bridge to North Ryde (M2), Naremburn to Wahroonga (F1), Castle Cove to Seaworthy etc.

9. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Riiight. Never knew it was previously on the cards.