VIC West Melbourne - PPOR - Off The Plan - 2B 2B 1C - 2023 Completion. Too Much Risk?

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by AusSharka, 6th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AusSharka

AusSharka Member

Hey everyone,

First home buyer here. Looking to get a PPOR. Not interested in investing or renting this out. I want to live here.
    I have found is off the plan with a 2023 completion date.

• 2 Bed, 2 Bathroom, 1 Car park apartment.
    • ~105SQM all up inc balcony (~85SQM internal space)
    • Close to public transport (Train station and Bus Stops)
    • Close to North Melbourne shops (Errol Street)
    • City skylines views from the apartment.
    • Balcony looking out over West Melbourne
    • No permits near by that will build out views
    Price is ~$900,000
    10% deposit is required to secure the build, so when it comes time to settle in 2023 I will owe the developer ~$810,000. Assuming you save a 20% deposit in that time the bank will need to provide $648,000

With all the talk around COVID-19 and property price crashes. Buying off the plan being a high risk is getting myself involved in something like this something I should be avoiding? Or is the risk minimal considering the settlement date is in 2023 and all these COVID issues will have highly likely blown over by then?

Thanks.

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Why would you want to lock yourself into something you can't even move into for at least 3 years? Possibly extended to another 2 to 6 years after that too, depending on sunset clauses.

Archaon and AusSharka like this.
  3. AusSharka

AusSharka Member

The main drivers were:
    • Being a first home buyer and not wanting to pay stamp duty.
    • 2 Bed + 2 Bath + 1 Car Park + City Skyline Views + Balcony + Great public transport links (train and bus right near by) apartments in inner suburbs of Melbourne (West Melbourne, North Melbourne, Carlton, East Melbourne, South Melbourne, Port Melbourne, etc) generally sell for over the $750,000 threshold that properties are stamp duty except for first home buyers in Victoria.
    • Alot of existing properties don't seem to have the whole package this new build appears to be offering.
    • Waiting ~3 years to move in is not a big concern as it allow me to secure a place that ticks all the boxes I was after, save a decent deposit and move into a new place.
    • COVID-19 concerns will hopefully be well and truely over by then, so concerns around buying off the plan and the bank valuing it less then what I need to pay is less of a concern.
    But I understand I maybe seeing it through biased eyes and I may need a slap in the face with a reality check, thus the reason why I have posted on here.

4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Meh developers need to live too i guess.

op, search for otp on this site and have a read.

Stoffo likes this.
  5. AusSharka

AusSharka Member

haha meaning what exactly? What I am considering doing should be avoided?

I am open to being criticized on this, I just want to have solid reasons for both sides of the argument so I can make an informed decisions. I am new to all his property stuff (being a first home buyer). The reason I am on here is to try and learn.

ellejay likes this.
  6. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Already done to death. Just search for otp.

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Who are we to tell you where you should live? :)
    • The valuation risks exist any time. I suggest you make sure you can save at least 30~40% of the purchase price. This is due to valuation issues at completion.
    • Make sure it is being built by a big, preferably listed builder with lost of previous projects. Otherwise you can end up with all sorts of faults, vanishing builders, and lots of drawn out insurance claims. Worst case you end up with a Mascot Towers Mascot Towers repair bill to hit $53 million prompting owners to consider selling - ABC News
    • Be prepared to make LOTS of fixes when you move in. Buildings aren't mass produced on a production line, so quality can vary dramatically even from apartment to apartment.
    • Be aware you may not get to move in until 2028 or whenever the contract allows the developer to delay.
    • Get an estimate of the owners corp split of the running costs and double or triple it. They ALWAYS underquote this to make ownership look attractive, AND there's always something that needs fixing that no one thought about.
    The Y-man

MsNewbieInvestor, Stoffo and ellejay like this.
  8. AusSharka

AusSharka Member

Thanks for the reply Y-Man.

Haha, no I didn't want you to tell me where to live. I am really set on the inner suburb life style. I have zero desire for owning a house 30mins out of the city in suburbs that have nothing going in in them. The inner city lifestyle means a lot to me.

CBD apartments did not appear as they are always tiny (70SQM 2 bedders). Having a 105SQM apartment a short walk out of the CBD was more appealing.

Thanks for the advice, I will look into it some more. I am currently reading through some otp threads on here too.

9. The Y-man

10. AusSharka

AusSharka Member

I have looked into that and done the 3D walk through.

1. Bathroom's don't get any natural light
    2. Bedrooms dont really have any views. The master has a window located high up but thats it. The guest bedroom looks into a light well.
    2. Living Room has a tiny window really high up, minimal natural light besides that and the light well. No views at all.
    3. Not really much room for a dinner table. The location in the 3D preview seems awkward. If you had guests around they would be bashing themselves into the kitchen.
    3. The 3rd bedroom is not really a bedroom, its more like a study you walk through to get onto the balcony at the top of the property.

But I agree at face value it seemed interesting. The small 3rd bathroom (powder room) in the kitchen area is a nice idea.

Would a 3 bedroom like typically be seen more desirable by the banks? Or is a better layed out/ views/ windows/ natural light 2 bed + 2 bathroom place going to be better?

11. AusSharka

AusSharka Member

The whole package would be:

1. Bedrooms with windows/view
    3. Bathroom with windows/view
    2. Living area with windows/view
    3. Balcony
    4. Practical living area where you can have a kitchen and dinner table without sacrifies.
    5. Close to public transport (trains/bus)
    6. Carpark
    7. Enough space (~85+SQM internal. 100SQM+ once you include a balcony)

12. The Y-man

The brokers can correct me, but from what I know, they ALWAYS go for floorspace first (coz in an apartment floorspace = land). Sure the other factors matter - whatever influences a valuer - but it's floorspace first IMHO.

The Y-man

13. The Y-man

Thank God you didn't say "super fast lift, olympic size heated swimming pool, sauna, wine cellar, tennis court, gym and cleaning service".... :D

The Y-man

14. AusSharka

AusSharka Member

haha thats if you want to live in a hotel right?

The place I was looking at was going to have lifts, communal area on the roof with views over the city and a gym.

No Pool. No Sauna, No Wine Cellar, No Tennis Court, No cleaning service.

15. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

You asked for risks and there are literally 100s of threads talking about OTP risks. If you are okay with all those (Y-man summed it up nicely), then go ahead, its your residence and you should enjoy it.

ellejay likes this.
  16. KingBendtner

KingBendtner Well-Known Member

OP, I wish I had a budget of $900k for my first PPOR
    Tread carefully mate. West Melbourne, right location, wrong product IMHO
    Short and sweet.. don't do it

17. AusSharka

AusSharka Member

Thanks for the reply.

What product do you think would be good in West Melbourne?

18. The Y-man

19. AusSharka

AusSharka Member

I saw this too! :)
    What made you consider this over a apartment that I listed above?

Negatives were:
    - No Carpark
    - Only 1 bathroom
    - Smaller 69sqm vs ~85sqm (~105sqm if you include balcony)
    - No area for dining table
    - 2nd bedroom has no robe
    - Quite old - so may require alot of work (added expense)

Positives were:
    - Attic (lots of storage)
    - Court Yard
    - Townhouse instead of apartment (you own the land)
    - Quite old - so may require alot of work (added resale value)

But no price is listed, if it was cheaper then a $880,000 apartment it would be appealing too I guess.

20. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

I'd take a good look at what's available ready built. Sure you have to pay stamp duty but you know what you're getting both in terms of the physical building but also wrt OC levies and building management.

FWIW my Docklands apartment is north facing looking over the harbour (permanent view), 102m²+10m² balcony, 2+2+1 and would sell I think for low 9's. Have you thought about being a rentvestor like me: the rent I'm paying doesn't really match the capital value.