WA West Leederville units/apartments

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by LisaSimpson, 6th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. LisaSimpson

LisaSimpson Member

Given that the new Bob Hawke College could have a positive impact on the values of West Leederville houses, do you think the impact could extend to apartments/units? Or is the current/potential oversupply of these around west leedy/Subi too much for this to be the case:)
    (We are deciding whether to offload a strata unit/townhouse which is currently negatively geared- in order to free up for other investments or PPOR upgrade)

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I don't think you should rely on the new college for any specific affect on the growth of your property. Any one individual factor affecting the broad market is like a 0.00001% of the overall picture on that front.

So you should really be looking at your own personal circumstances when making these decisions instead.

3. LisaSimpson

LisaSimpson Member

Thanks @thatbum for your reply... I maybe should have worded the question differently.. of course we’ll be considering many factors and personal circumstances in the decision.. this question was about one factor.. sorry, my bad

4. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Find out how many overseas students they are planning to admit, plus how widespread their overseas campaign is. Use Phoenix College as a reference. You may be surprised how well the rental market will become. I agree due diligence is important.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It may extend but I think it probably will depend on the type of stock. It probably won't affect the one bedroom ones as I doubt people will be "buying/renting intake addresses" and leaving them empty to get into the school - at this stage. So if people want to move into the area to get kids into the school it's more likely to impact 3 bedders or 2 bedders.
    My gut says that the new college probably won't impact for a few years until it's fully up and running. It won't have all grades until 2025.

6. Damo93

Damo93 Well-Known Member

I had a thought about the new college the other day.
    Is it possible house values would decrease for those losing out on two established schools in favour of the new school?

7. LisaSimpson

LisaSimpson Member

I had a google and there was an article stating that there would be 35 positions IN TOTAL across public schools for overseas students. Doesn’t sound like that many

8. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Target their parents. They don't like gardens and yards. They get used to shoe boxes. If yours are neat and cute, they would love it. Offer host family services and you are laughing all the way to the bank! :D