ASX Shares Wesfarmers (WES): demerger

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by balwoges, 13th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I own Wesfarmers shares, what do others think will happen to the share price when Wesfarmers and Coles separate?

Intend to keep Wesfarmers, undecided about Coles ...

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I suppose I better read the docs. WSF is pretty diversified with insurance, retail, mining? etc so taking out a small chunk will probably boost their returns.

How Coles will perform on it's own is another matter - possibly float around until a venture capitalist flies in to pick the meat off the bones.

3. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

You get one Coles share for each WES share, if you like WES you can sell Coles shares and buy more WES once Coles is float, I like WES and want WES to get rid of Target, it a trouble child for so long and yet they unwilling to cut it off, they did the right thing with the UK hardware disaster and get rid of it early and clearly the market reward them for that.

Coles should be ok on its own but we don't know for a few half how it will fare against Woolies and Aldi.

My preferences flocked off Coles and buy more WES, as WES mothership still has 15% of Coles and 50% of flyby (this is the good stuff) and clearly WES want all the good pile in Coles so no point holding Coles

Last edited: 13th Nov, 2018
    Stoffo likes this.
  4. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I understand that WES shares owners will be allocated COL ones. Any idea when these will show up in trading accounts?

5. Peppas

Peppas Well-Known Member

I think I read somewhere the 28/11

I think it's in one of the announcements on asx

KayTea likes this.
  6. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I believe I read it as well, in the scheme docs.

From memory, 28/11 is correct.

KayTea likes this.
  7. kierank

Coles (COL) is now on my CMC account but not yet on my ShareSight account.

Maybe next week? Maybe I will have to do manually?

I have asked SS support what is the correct process; I am waiting for a response with instructions.

8. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Westpac have advised me the shares will appear on my account 28/11 - am expecting to receive confirmation of shares by post. Yesterday they were $15.30 IMHO I think they will reach $20 before long, so far so good ... :)

9. Ricky Yeo

Ricky Yeo New Member

Hi Kierank, we have put up a help page here - How to handle Wesfarmers and Coles demerger | Sharesight Help.

10. kierank

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The ATO is expected to issue the formal demerger relief advice later in December. I would wait and avoid using preliminary estimates. They can vary as seen with other past demergers. If you make changes ensure you check the final costbase splits and edit if required later

Islay likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia