Wentworth by-election

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lizzie, 12th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Exactly what Tony was hoping for.

2. geoffw

Recent polls and betting odds have been shifting towards Phelps, who is now the favourite in both.

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Anonymous and false email circulated claiming Phelps had pulled out of the campaign due to being diagnosed with HIV - and encouraging voters to go Liberal.

Well - if anything that'll cause even more backlash against the Libs ... add in the unrest in the National Party re leadership and it's like the government is handing the seat over on a silver platter

'Dirty tricks': Fake email sent to Wentworth voters claims Kerryn Phelps has HIV

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Disgraceful. It would be good to find out who is behind that. Someone who supports the Liberal party? Or someone who wants to damage the Liberal party? It could be anyone.

5. highlighter

highlighter Well-Known Member

I still don't understand why Malcolm is out... did it achieve anything?

Angel likes this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm with you - and nope

qak and highlighter like this.
  7. geoffw

Libs appear to be almost conceding defeat
    Senior Liberals say a 'miracle' is needed to win Wentworth

Sportsbet odds on Phelps have shortened considerably since yesterday. Payouts were between $1 and $2 for both, but shorter on Phelps. But now Phelps is $1.30 and Sharma $3.50.

Meanwhile, the headline in the Australian is "Phelps open to tearing down the government". Presumably because she might not support them all the time, possibly in a confidence motion. The article though is behind a paywall.

Btw, as previously stated in this thread, I don't see that the government is likely to lose power if they lose Wentworth. There's enough support in the cross bench to ensure that they are unlikely to lose a confidence motion. Supply is likely to be too close to the time for a general election to be an issue.

Last edited: 19th Oct, 2018
    Perthguy likes this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Interesting watching the Drum last night ... the three main independents and the Greens representative. Pretty impressed by all of them

The Drum: Thursday 18/10/2018

9. Perthguy

Malcolm is out because he wasn't seen as upholding Liberal party values, whatever they even are these days. The reality is that he never did. The first time they rolled him as opposition leader was because he supported an ETS, clearly out of step with the rank and file. Why they ever put him in a prime minister is beyond me. He was very popular with Labor voters. It seems to me his goal all along has been to wreck the Liberal party. Mission accomplished I would say.

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I think he was too conservative for the backroom puppets - but he was more in touch with common Australia than the "common bloke" in before and after him.

He was torn between the two parties because he is primarily a businessman - who supports small business, innovation and forwarding thinking (used to be the Liberal way) and just getting the job done - but also had a very keen social conscience (Labor).

I don't think the Liberal's know where they are at the moment. They seem to be big business supporters, to the detriment of the environment and social humanity - but there is so much infighting I couldn't tell you what any of their policies are atm, other than trying to save their own skins.

Eric Wu and Scott No Mates like this.
  11. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

I'm just worried.... about the whole scenario. It is ridiculous.

As a small business owner and a property investor I'm worried that nobody is concerned about the long term prosperity of our economy.

We're all but assured of a labor government and the removal of negative gearing is going to amplify the pressure on an already weakened property market. This will coincide with further reform out of the royal commission, and higher cost of lending via rate increases in the US.

Can't see any way this won't impact the wider economy, hence my worry that we're all going to go through a tough period in the years ahead.

Those who can think, anticipate and evolve will capitalize on the opportunities that are presented... always do... but for the large percentage of people they won't.

I feel like politics has failed.

Angel, Lizzie and Perthguy like this.
  12. geoffw

Wentworth falls.

At least, judging by the vote so far.

With the possibility of a swing against the Libs of more than 20% - but with swings against ALP and Greens as well.

Obviously, a lot of people really like Phelps.

Perthguy likes this.
  13. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

A 22 percent swing in what was the safest liberal seat in the country....

Somewhere, Malcom is doing a happy dance. His final shot landed bang on.

Lizzie and Toon like this.
  14. geoffw

I would have said that it was Tony who took the shot.

15. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Probably the best news in the long term for the Liberal Party ,and they will learn a valuable lesson .
    Should something happen in years to come cooler heads should prevail before they try and get rid of a sitting PM.
    Good to see some politicians still have conviction to follow through with what they say..

16. Perthguy

I believe Phelps is well respected. However, I would not discount the protest vote. A 22% percent swing against is a hiding. It is more than Phelps is a good candidate even though she is.

17. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

John Howard lost his seat (Bennelong) while he was the PM and Liberal got it back anyways. It will be back

Perthguy, Sackie and Shogun like this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Gotta get Paddington out of the electorate .

19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

As said, the vote was for more than "to" Phelps - it's a protest against the complacency and shortsightedness of the major parties who have no long term policies and appear to be only interested in winning votes for the next electoral cycle ... shown by ScoMo's desperate thought bubble of moving the embassy

A political commentator mentioned last night, that they anticipate to see a lot more of this - independents winning who are there for the good of the constituents and future of the country/planet - rather than blindly voting for main stream parties

Perthguy, Angel, Toon and 2 others like this.
  20. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The things it achieved (that we didn't know :rolleyes:):
    • Showed how the members of parliament (both sides) are more interested in their own @r5535 & political point scoring than any long term future of the country
    • Whether the deposed PM/leader (aka Abbott, Rudd, Turnbull etc) remains in parliament or steps down, it leaves a bad taste in the minds of voters
    • The system needs reform (Labor has done it after their last big rap on the knuckles and can on longer get rid of a PM without a vote from the rank & file)
    • Politics is a hard game (ask the families of any politician)
    • The next Federal election is mid-2019 but the date isn't straightforward - linky
    What does the result mean for the country?
    • She'll be sitting for possibly 6 months
    Mod note: at poster's request, removed disproved statement. Thanks @TSK

Last edited by a moderator: 21st Oct, 2018
    Lizzie and geoffw like this.