Went to a Mates Funeral..

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by willair, 14th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Went along to a Funeral this morning the card that was sent on Monday was very simple ,just attend his longtime PPOR at Yeronga at 7 sharp this morning ..
    Went to school with this old Mate-4 months ago he found out he has cancer in several places within his body ,He never wanted people to worry-- told very few about the problem just kept it within his family unit..

Wife and myself turn up at 6.45 ,sign on the front gate "Party in the Work Shed" ..Walked in and there was his old camping chair his camping table bottle of O/P QLD Rum and his ashes sitting in the middle on the table,only less then 10 people inside ..
    Several letters on the table with on of his tools on top of each letter ,on top of my letter was a USA made Vice - Grip ..

His Wife had a talk about 7.15 thanked everyone for turning up, read out a list ..
    Only five songs were to played,and everyone has a glass of O/P rum in their hand while his wife played this and the only song he ever liked ..

Never leave it too late to live live your dreams..

Francesco, lowIQ, Gladys and 16 others like this.
  2. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Rest in Peace, Mate!

willair likes this.
  3. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Now, that's the way to do a funeral. So he wrote individual letters to people?
    Great song that one.

willair likes this.
  4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yes each person had their own letter and the tools he would have used each day of his working life every day on top of each hand written last words ..
    All mine said was thanks for being a Mate ,and keep a close eye on his one and only Son which i'm his godfather on the right path ...A lot of though would have went into this when he knew he was about to hit the wall but he never wanted people to worry just face death when it turns up..

Gockie likes this.
  5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

funerals are the most gut wrenching thing I could imagine......

willair likes this.
  6. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

@willair , I don't really know what to say other than that's such a stoic way to say goodbye. Personal and with the people that meant a lot to him. No fanfare, social media crap etc.
    I'm truly impressed and inspired.
    RIP.

Anthony416 and willair like this.
  7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

good on ya mate even in his after life he thought of the special people around him. a true reflection of his character!!!

KayTea and willair like this.
  8. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I reckon funerals are a bit like big birthday parties. There are the people the guest of honour really wants to be there, but they don't really get a chance to talk to them. Then there are the partners of those people who the guest of honour may or may not have got on with. Then there is the family. In lots of cases half of them are there because they think they should be. Then there are the acquaintances and work mates and neighbours who also think they should be there but would rather be somewhere else. I'd like to imagine myself being the guest of honour at a funeral in my shed - there is even a beer fridge there.

willair likes this.
  9. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

willair likes this.
  10. Zeehan

Zeehan Well-Known Member

That is a very moving story. I am sorry you lost your mate. Best wishes.

willair likes this.
  11. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

I helped bury a good mates son (17), and then 2 years later helped bury him (50). (Ripped the rest of the family apart - sadly they don't even talk).

It really does make you think about life - yes put together a property and / or share plan & execute ruthlessly: for a long and early retirement.

But you never know when your numbers up.

I get delayed satisfaction - don't delay everything, make sure you enjoy something today with the people that matter to you ... just in case.

I drink & smoke - yet every year someone super fit drops dead running Sydney City to Surf.

These kind of stories just make me think, make sure you're enjoying today too.

Don't delay all of your gratification. Live for tomorrow AND today.

Kassy, willair, fols and 7 others like this.
  12. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss...

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.