VIC Wendouree vs. Whittington

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Proper Property, 11th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Proper Property

Proper Property Active Member

I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts about Whittington and Wendouree.

Do you think Whittington is the Wendouree for Geelong and what does everyone think whether both suburbs will still perform similarly based on the growth drivers they both have or is one of those a stronger offering than the other?

Also does Whittington have the same ripple effect as Wendouree does for Ballarat as Geelong has grown considerably as well. Are Wendouree and Whittington too late to invest in based on the growth cycle they are in?

Thanks!

2. Dave3214

Dave3214 Well-Known Member

Geelong's had quite a strong amount of growth in 2016-17 and even into 2018, and Whittington has always been about the 3rd cheapest suburb, and generally on a rough par with Norlane and Corio as far as what is deemed the lower socio-economic areas of Geelong. Whittington though has a bit of an advantage in that it's only roughly 4 K's from the CBD, and it shares the same postcode as salubrious East Geelong with it's 600K+ median price and amenities. Houses that run off St.Albans Rd before Lomond Tce can be over 600K, and about 1200 metres further along you hit areas where places still can be got with a three in front of it.

David Shih has posted quite a bit about Geelong on the various Geelong threads, and as a general figure, certainly from a PPR perspective there are parts of the estate along Solar Drive and the space-themed courts that are perhaps a bit interesting as far as some of the neighbors go. But the areas particularly between Boundary and Wilsons Rd are chiefly privately owned residences and are in a very handy spot to the CBD, just less than 10 minutes away and moments from both of the shopping centres along Bellarine Hwy.

FWIW, i think Whittington is a bit closer to Geelong than Wendouree is to Ballarat, but each of the main regional cities offer a quality lifestyle and amenities that apart from the absence of a Mongolian Barbeque restaurant for Geelong, i reckon exceeds the amenity of living in an outer suburb of Melbourne. If you work in the regional centres, commute times are minimal compared to a long trek from an outer Melbourne suburb to that CBD.

3. Proper Property

Proper Property Active Member

Do you think that Whittington has some legs left in it since East Geelong is in the 600s and Whittington is still in the sub 300s which means there is value there. Do you see the median price growth capping at 450s?

Also, as Geelong will do well in the long term as Melbourne's population growth continues to occur, is Whittington considered a short term and/or long term play?

4. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

To me the first has got more potential however I think you have missed the boat...make sure you do proper DD, plenty of info on the forum about the two.