Weekend fun

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by jins13, 21st May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Thought I'll create a weekend thread and see what the good people of PC are up to on the weekends! Always intrigued on what people do in their spare time and the many different hobbies out there.

I sometimes wonder what I may do if I have the weekend off and there are so many things I can think of:
    - Spend more time with my folks
    - Droning or race droning
    - Learn to be a pro gamer but think you peak at 20 and after that it's over the hill
    - Learn a new language or coding
    - Go to church and have some wine
    - Remote control cars
    - Model kits
    - Read some books
    - Get some rest
    - Dirt bikes
    - Jet skis
    - Kite flying
    - Bush walking
    - Volunteer work
    - Tennis
    - Chess
    - Museums
    - Go-karting

This weekend mainly consisted of working and also working on my uni assignment. Surprisingly, a group work became a solo effort again and people went MIA.

The Y-man likes this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Just did a bike ride with the Parramatta heritage bike rides group! Today it was all about sandstone buildings in Parramatta ;)
    Beautiful day!

Rides are third Sunday of each month.
    Parramattaheritagerides.net

And it's free :)

I'm also doing Chinese classes at Eastwood Heights Public School via CECA on Saturday mornings. Really great teaching, very small classes to help you at your level. My problem is in the speaking and they are really helping me. :)
    CECA Chinese School Eastwood - Since 2009

Finally... my regular Sunday night women's volleyball comp at Ryde Aquatic Centre. I just have a great time playing. :)
    SNV.org.au
    20170514_200228.jpg

I may get involved in the Sydney Volleyball League starting later this month and running till mid September. Basically its the interclub volleyball competion, one level below AVL (Australian Volleyball League). Games are played on Sundays and the comp is managed by State Volleyball NSW. Games played at the Netball Centre at SOP. We'll see....

Last edited: 21st May, 2017
    MWI and jins13 like this.
  3. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I went rogaining at Bungonia National Park with a friend yesterday. It's an outdoor sport similar to orienteering. The aim is to score as many points as possible navigating to control points indicated on a map.

You can only use a map and a compass for navigating, although much of the navigating can be done by interpreting the terrain from the topographic map. It is largely off-track with obstacles like steep terrain, fallen trees, thick scrub and gorges. It combines a lot of skills - strategy, routefinding, teamwork, etc. You get higher points for the more difficult points to reach.

You wear an electronic bracelet and use a electronic wand at the control point to tag your achievement of a control.

I was in the 6-hour event that started at 11am but there was also a 12 hour event that finished at 11pm. For them, that meant 5 hours of navigating by compass in the dark.

I do a lot of hiking but it's 6 years since I last went rogaining. Hooked again!

4. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

I take my by son to the park. Catch up on work and go out to dinner with my wife.

Perthguy, jim1964 and jins13 like this.
  5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Oh nice. I did a kayaking trip in winter of last year and she was very much into rogaining... but I'm not a long distance runner whereas she is. So... I'd have to be in a recreational division!

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

IMG_1948.JPG IMG_1963.JPG Replaced the insulation on my roof top solar hot water pipes.

EN710 and jins13 like this.
  7. wombat777

I'm not much of a runner. My friend and I scored 900 points in the 6 hours. The winning team scored 2080 points and they would have been running.

This is the event map we were working with.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Perthguy, jins13 and Gockie like this.
  8. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Looks like alot of fun!! I always wanted to do the basecamp trek but just finding the time and soon, be less of an excuse when I am eligible to receive my long service leave.

9. wombat777

Consider doing the longer Everest Circuit Trek. This adds the beautiful Gokyo Valley and the spectacular Cho La Pass. The extra time is better for acclimatisation.

I also highly recommend doing the trip in the quieter Xmas / New Year period. The weather is more stable and there is less moisture in the air so you are more likely to get good views of the mountains.

These photos from my trip at the end of 2012. These are all on the Gokyo / Cho La section which is not part of typical Everest Basecamp Treks.

The 3rd of the Gokyo lakes

IMG_0522.PNG

Descending from the acclimatisation walk up Gokyo Ri the following day. Gokyo Ri is 5,357m. I purposely haven't posted a photo from the top. That would ruin the experience of going there!

IMG_0519.JPG

One of our porters resting at the foot of the Cho La Pass. Our porters carried tents, tables and chairs over the pass!

IMG_0523.JPG

The Glacier at the top of the 5,420m Cho La Pass. We crossed wearing crampons.

IMG_0524.JPG

Our campsite on New Years Eve ( 31 December 2012 ). This campsite was at approximately 5000m above sea level.

IMG_0526.JPG

Danyool, Sackie, Observer and 7 others like this.
  10. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

This coming weekend is going to consist of working on a take home exam. Quite frankly, I hate take home exams because it's pretty much doing a cram assignment and much prefer doing an exam to test out my knowledge. What's stopping someone from asking someone else to do the exam for them or working with other students?

11. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

The garden at my new PPOR has no grass and lots of plants, so I spent Saturday morning pottering around - looking like i was dead heading and trimming, but in reality just breathing air and daydreaming :) So much more fun than weeding!! I hate weeding. Gardens make me happy, and it's so nice to have something outside to do after being in the office all week.

I also visited my friend in the afternoon, played a game with my son, did our budget, planned a new kitchen and watched some movies- it was really miserable weather on Sunday!

MWI, jins13 and Perthguy like this.
  12. wombat777

@Danny370z

13. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

This is what I got up to on the weekend.

20170520_134412.jpg

20170521_134227.jpg

20170522_143727.jpg

Tagging @bob shovel. Some nice local Jarrah for a bit of a fun project.

jins13, Ed Barton and bob shovel like this.
  14. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

nice bit of timber! That finishes that wall nicely. It's those little things that won't boost yields or valuations dramatically but overall along with other little extras lift the property out of the common no frills bog stock rentals

I hope there is a brick feature on the cards to pay homage to the local love of Bricks

Perthguy likes this.
  15. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Completing my last exam tomorrow and going to have some more free time to do things.

Really keen to bring back the old basketball team again. It was funny that a bunch of guys past their prime tried to play and keep up with the young ones. We did play a friendly game of dodge ball in a couple of basketball games with some teams, but obviously they didn't like it.

Thinking of playing my xbox which I've only played it twice in 5 years, catch up on some documentaries and concentrate on my health which I've neglected.

16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Wifey and I kinda boring over the weekends...we love going to all the supa centres and Home and Living places in NSW to look at the latest stuff.:oops:

Love, love, love Freedom- can spend hours in there. btw Artarmon Home HQ has some amazing stuff in their home and living stores.

Coffee is always a must on weekends. Also love chilling at Continental Park .

17. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Aren't options 1 and 2 mutually exclusive with option 3? ;-)

18. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

We found a secret area in our freedom that is seconds. The usual very minor scratches but absolute bargains! ! ;)

Sackie likes this.
  19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Which freedom...?:D

20. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I love gardening including weeding, my nail lady always tells me off, as sometimes I just like bare hands in the soil - no gloves, and I actually like weeding too.
    But most enjoyable are the blooming plants or herbs and so on. The only think I outsource is lawn mowing as we don't like doing that!
    Always go out with spouse, always commit few hours with kids, the rest is spent how we like...

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia