Weed Treatment

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Alex Deepak Kumar, 30th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Alex Deepak Kumar

Alex Deepak Kumar Member

These guys kept popping up in my place. Do we simply pull them off the grounds? Does it indicate high humidification of the ground?

Attached Files:

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Indicates moisture and sunshine, also that the layer of pebbles isn't very thick (or clean of fines) and that a weed mat probably wasn't put down first.

Yes, pull out or your preferred spray.

You will always get weeds, seed blows in (wind, birds, your feet), it is impossible to keep everything weed free.

wylie likes this.
  3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Last edited: 30th Apr, 2021
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Roundup Zero works fast. Wont supress new weeds of course. A follow up path weeder solution may slow root growth of new weeds. (Yates Once a year) ...But may need to use it twice a year as its not paving etc. Just dont get any on grass. Buy a sprayer as you will have a regular job. Buy concentrate not premix etc. Waste of $$$. Once treated dont allow growth and kill off small shoots and weeding dead bits is less a chore
    [​IMG]

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Boil a jug and pour boiling water on them. It will kill them and no poison involved.

bmc, Angel and Joynz like this.
  6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just pull them out as there is nothing like working in the garden ..
    Just from the side-lines,what is your water bill like--as the HWS system with the base seems to be watermarked ,could be wrong but just check,,imho..

7. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

8. Emily He

Emily He New Member

What is below that rock? Would hot water damage/crack the ground?

9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I don't like sprayers as the spray can easily get onto other plants and grass. I make up the concentrate in a small yoghurt or ice cream container and paint it on using a small brush. Agree with boiling water, you can also use vinegar or bleach.

10. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Walking around the garden with a jug of boiling water is all good till you trip and burn yourself.

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I think you can get steam wands for this purpose. (The weed killing not the tripping!)

Shogun likes this.
  12. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

if one is that much of a klutz and inept then one should also consider not handling poisons.

on a side note Glyphosate (as in Roundup - Zero etc) has been banned from use in several countries, and being phased out by several councils in Australia.

shouldn't this be in the first world problem thread.

wylie likes this.
  13. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I have to risk assess all jobs I do at work. Boiling water on my body is not worth the risk. I don't care how you risk assess it.

The small volume of Round Up used in my garden passes my risk assessment. Read MSDS and wear ppe.

Don't like boiling water or round up.
    Pull weeds by hand. Spread a small amount of lawn fertilizer over the area and cover with black plastic for 2 weeks

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

These suckers are easy to pull out. Dont use poison, that stuff will kill you

15. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

but you might be exposed to bacteria from the fertilizer and then trip on the black plastic and land face first in the roundup bottle.

scale:
    likelyhood: 1 unlikely
    outcome: 5 catastrophic

oh dear, what to do.
    i think i'll have another coffee and watch the weeds grow
    oh damm that involves boiling water

wylie likes this.
  16. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've spent many hours pulling weeds from a very similar environment. Many of them cannot be pulled easily without breaking off at the roots - that larger plant typically has a large tap root. And small plants which are hiding between stones are ready to spring up. One week after pulling, they were growing again quite well - I'd love my garden to be growing that well.

Having said that - I have a larger area. Your area seems rather small, and continued hand weeding (weekly or fortnightly) may be your most cost effective control method.

If it was in soil, I'd recommend a stand up weed puller (google it) to extract the roots, but they don't work well in stones.

I'd try the glyphosate, boiling water or the steam wand. Where the glyphosate has been suspected to be carcinogenic, it's been with farmers using massive quantities.

Edit: I haven't tried this but it looks interesting. Bioweed Organic Natural Weed Killer | Organic Glyphosate Free Herbicide

Last edited: 2nd May, 2021
    Stoffo likes this.
  17. Alex Deepak Kumar

Alex Deepak Kumar Member

I pulled a handful of them up and the little tiny ones spring up not long after. Is there any benefit pulling them up often? Can I do them once a month? Just feel easier pulling up the big plant.

18. Alex Deepak Kumar

Alex Deepak Kumar Member

Yeah, my bill has been always on the high side. It's wet beneath that. Is that a sign of leaking?

19. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Used to spray 5,000 litres on an average week :eek:
    Ended up with gut issues, it seriously messed up my micro biome and ruined my gut lining.
    Am now intolerant to a lot of foods :(
    Yes, likely you have a leak by the sounds of it.
    Make sure all your taps are off, then go sit by the water meter for 30 min and see if the dial moves....

20. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

Just need to pour some water on them the roots will release and they will pull out easily. You can pour petrol , bleach or sulphate of ammonia on weeds. Glysophate is safe if used legally. it is illegal to not follow instructions and not use required protection. Water and the sun is dangerous too if you dont use common sense when exposed to it. Used glysophate for 40 years contract spraying and know plenty of people who have used it none of them have had issues. Stupid is dangerous Americans have issues with it because they have a right to be stupid then blame some-one else,. Pine oil is toxic too it is harmful to plants and can be harmful to humans