Wedding Ideas

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MoneyMan, 6th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

A friend once had a surprise wedding. People were invited for a housewarming so they all brought presents- but only a few knew the real purpose.

Perp likes this.
  2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Choosing to be married outside a church, on the beach will save you quite a bit - we got married in a church but didn't go for the whole church decoration etc as that adds money like anything.

For saving money ideas I recommend
    - negotiating with a nearby small restaurant or beach cafe to open for the evening and let you have exclusive use. Then negotiate 3 choices of meals and let people pick via their RSVP what they would like so that the restaurant has known numbers for catering and everyone gets more choice than chicken or beef.
    - minimal decorations at the reception - a colourful vase with simple arrangement/a hurricane lantern with coloured candle/fancy twigs in a vase and use the brides and maids flowers as decorations on the bridal table.
    - a ferrari is not a good idea for a wedding gown :)
    - wearing her gown to the reception is common especially if it's a more simple beach appropriate gown not some 50ft train cathedral affair.
    - don't skimp on the dress but there are plenty of options under $1000. A $100 Ebay dress is not the answer but there are nice options in Australia that are very well made.
    - for the cake you would be surprised where you can get wedding cakes made which are much nicer than any of the cakes which cost $600-1000 for some overpriced overdecorated yucky thing. Miss Mauds and the Cheesecake Shop actually have very nice options that are not only edible but decent priced.

Perthguy likes this.
  3. KDP

KDP Well-Known Member

Besides town halls as has been suggested in this thread, try golf courses and bowling clubs as well. From what I've seen they can be more affordable than the traditional venues.

4. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

How could I forget? Our nephew organised 'engagement' party in our previous house that turned out to be a wedding, but guests (50-60) did not know about it beforehand. The best wedding that I have ever been. We provided venue, caterers looked after food, friends and family had made decorations and organised the cake. My brother in law organised music. Everyone had a fantastic time, a lot of dancing, eating, drinking and having fun.

5. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

We got married on a Friday afternoon in January, fortunately for us it happened to be our anniversary anyway :D

If your to be wife isn't big on flowers, I would definitely recommend getting fake ones. I got mine off eBay, looked fantastic and I still have them without the need to dry/frame them.

One of my good friends is a photographer, and at the time was building her portfolio. We paid for her flights and she did all our photos (including editing) for nothing. Mother and sister in law are into photography too, so we had 3 running around after us all night - photos looked awesome!

Mother in law is also exceptionally good at cake making. Also turned out awesome and cost nothing. Another option, if you don't trust your own/friends cooking, see if you can find a cake place that sells "naked" cakes. They literally bake the cakes, you just decorate.

Check out stillwhite.com.au (I think?) it's a site that sells second hand/new wedding dresses. You can find some absolute bargains, and unlike eBay dresses you can still get brand names and try on before buying. Just don't do what I did and rush into buying a cheap "okay" dress just to decide 3 months later I wanted a different one that I tried on months earlier but was triple the price and end up with two.. Does she like A-Line dresses? I need to free up space in my wardrobe :D

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I had the big wedding to please my mother really. It was more her day then mine. I was married long enough ago that the bride's parents paid for the wedding and groom's parents paid for the drinks. Always seemed unfair to me.

The wedding at the registry office and the suburban restaurant was my niece and I think she changed out of her wedding dress. Dresses were simple but nice. Nothing was tizzy.

My wedding was not tizzy either but I woukd have preferred a simple ceremony and a small dinner with just the families.

7. wylie

Yes they can. Most weddings these days seem to be paid for by the bride and groom. That way they get what they want. I would much rather give the couple $10K towards their house.

EN710 likes this.
  8. wylie

We have three sons though :). Even if/when it can happen it doesn't mean it will happen. It would be nice for him to have the option though.

Lucky the middle one is seeing a girl who is not a princess. I would be happy to see them together. There would be very little risk of any bridezilla outbreak from this girl.

9. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

Sorry this I'll be off topic, but in this day and age I can not understand why we even need to have a public conversation about rainbow marriages. Even more I do not comprehend our current prime minister and some of his colleagues comments about it. :mad: When even catholic countries like Ireland, Spain and even conservative USA accepts it, but our PM...

Perp likes this.
  10. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

We saved some money by having the ceremony and reception at the same venue. This was also handy because on the day it poured with rain and we couldn't do the outdoor wedding we had planned. The venue had a conference room and the staff kindly set that up for us for the ceremony. Cranbourne Botanic Gardens, beautiful place, great food, I recommend it.

If you have a friend with a nice car you can save a bit of money there if you ask nicely. My father in law drove my wife to the wedding in his Rolls Royce. And afterwards we took a fancy "taxi" to where I had parked my car at a swish B&B.

On the downside, I have particular tastes, and my Regency Period tailored wedding suit cost more than my wife's dress. HA!

Perp likes this.
  11. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Ah, gees, I'm always being mistaken for a Mr when I'm a Ms, and I'd always thought you were a Ms and you're a Mr! [Note to self: update mental picture of LibGS, change gender to male.]

12. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Perp likes this.
  13. wylie

Me too Perp. I think my username on SS wasn't gender specific and hence my new avatar. I think I now look like a woman, a little pale maybe, but clearly a woman :D.

(I thought LibGS was a woman too, perhaps just saw the "lib" and thought "libby"?)

Perp likes this.
  14. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Oh oops, I thought you're a Mr....
    The user name Perp ~ change one letter and it become Perv ~ and Mr. come mind

Perp likes this.
  15. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

I resent that sexism. Mses can be pervy too. < I resemble that remark.

16. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Yes, totally. Ms. Can be pervy to, I can relate :rolleyes:. Doesn't mean to be sexist, just what came to mind in that split second. I call it unconscious bias :oops:

Perp likes this.
  17. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

I wasn't offended. :p Where's the sarcasm font again? ;)

EN710 likes this.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.