WEB3… The future?

Discussion in 'Other Asset Classes' started by Codie, 3rd Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Ok I’ll start by saying I know nothing about crypto, don’t own any crypto, but have been looking into WEB3 and coins based off this platform like ocean protocol, the graph, Live peer etc.

Ocean looks like a good opportunity and still
    Sits lower than it’s ATH

What interests me is people like Chris Dixon and Naval Ravikant talking about this being the future. These guys were early on most things and it pays to listen to the smartest people in the room.

Keen to start this thread to throw information around… Has anyone got a good understanding of it and how one might get the right exposure ?

2. Hayden94

Hayden94 Well-Known Member

It’s one of the most difficult things I’ve tried to understand, spent many hours on it and still feel like I know nothing haha.

“Rauol Pals introduction to the exponential age” on YouTube was a cool video for me. Tim Ferriss and Tom Bilyeu also have done some great crypto podcasts.

I believe this is our future and actually think it’s irresponsible to not have any exposure. I have a triangle investment approach where 95% of my net worth is in an asset I know and where I believe I have an upper hand. For me this is residential real estate. That allows me to have 5% exposure to assets that are more volatile and risky, money I’m willing to lose. For me that is crypto, if it does well, the top of my triangle expands, my net worth builds and then I filter some of the 5%, which may have grown to 10-20%, back into real estate. Over time my triangle gets bigger.

In terms of my crypto exposure, Im currently 50% Eth, 40% Bitcoin, 5% solana and 5% polkadot. I plan to hold long, currently sitting about 50% up. But daily changes are substantial. I believe the volatility will be reduced over time as the rate of adoption increases at such a rapid rate. There are close to 200 million people who own crypto now and the market cap is nudging 4 trillion, so I don’t think it’s fair to call it gambling anymore.

Since finishing my accumulation phase in property, I’ve really enjoyed trying to learn something new.

Codie likes this.
  3. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

I really like that set up! Do you have any idea how to get exposure?

essentially your investing in the platform or tech rather than an individual coin. I guess like getting in on ETH early but on a much bigger scale eventually.

Web3 could be the new internet. Everything decentralised, music, companies, NFTs, etc the list is endless.

Ocean protocol I think will be a good start.

4. Hayden94

Hayden94 Well-Known Member

As in physically how to buy and store crypto or what do you mean sorry?

Web3 is the future, the list is endless and I can’t see any world where it won’t be one of the biggest changes in human history. It’s just a matter of time.

I’m not a tech guy personally, and certainly don’t understand everything that’s going on. As with property, I’ve decided to take a longer term macro view. I believe this new world is coming and I feel most comfortable holding ETH and BTC. Most layer 2 and layer 3 protocols are build on Ethereum anyway. Bitcoin is like digital gold, very scarce. Ethereum is like the internet. It’s main competitors at this stage appear to be solana and polkadot, that’s why I have a small portion there too. Simple and stupid. Hence why I mainly stick to property.

I truly have no idea about any of this stuff. So trying to pick short term winners just doesn’t sit well with me. I’d love to hear thoughts from people that are a lot deeper in.

samiam likes this.
  5. LROB

LROB Well-Known Member

You will be a very wealthy 27 year old soon.

6. LROB

LROB Well-Known Member

Also add LRC to that kitty bag. Apes are about to go nuts. You'll be seeing the future in real time in ~3 months.

7. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

@LROB You expecting big things from the Majors soon? ETH/BTC etc?
    Is there any reason to look at investing in these smaller things if your so bullish on the big ones?
    I had looked at LRC as well

LROB likes this.
  8. LROB

LROB Well-Known Member

Every 'mayor' in the US will be buying bitcoin (or salary) by years end at this rate. I am more bullish on the meta' space. Bitcoin will survive anything.

Parachains coming up for Polkadot..
    Solana is an excellent project.

Loopring will integrate NFT's with GME and eventually AMC. Look @ how fast the NFT market is growing. Its a no-brainer at this point.

9. Major

Major Active Member

Any recommended resources for learning/research? Purchased about 5 years ago and held til now but looking to learn more about the space and developments. Basically forgot most of the knowledge from back then!

10. LROB

LROB Well-Known Member

Loopring was on a tear last night...

YouTube absolutely rocks for learning about web3. Some of the smartest people nest on twitter too. People are severely underestimating how powerful web3 will be.