Weatherboard in ACT

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by dowlers1, 27th Dec, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dowlers1

dowlers1 New Member

Hi Folks,
    I've had an offer accepted on a brick and weatherboard 3 bedroom unit in Canberra - for investment, but needing to reside in it for a while first. Brick garage and end walls of unit, weatherboard front and back walls. Is very nicely maintained and looks lovely. Although the price went to where it had to for me to get the property, my one concern is that I'm paying too much given the weatherboard component.
    I'd appreciate some general opinions on purchase price/value and hopefully a bit of confidence boost that the property's value should not have been impacted much by the "board rather than brick" factor.
    Thanks, Steve :confused:

2. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Steve

It's hard to comment without knowing the building and the price
    but since it's a unit the maintenance issues of the weatherboard walls will be covered by strata.

Regarding price, look for comparable sales in the same building
    Do you have a mortgage broker or a real estate agent?
    They could give you an rpdata report on the property

There is a also website which I believe you can subcribe for $15
    onthehouse.com.au - Agent and Private Real Estate, Free Sold Property Information
    but their reports are not 100% up to date

3. dowlers1

dowlers1 New Member

Thanks Billy. The unit is one of 8 x standalone 3 bedroom units, so the weatherboards will be my responsibility. They are well protected however, so I'm not too concerned about maintenance. It was more a general question about weatherboard and property values. Since posting, I note that it does depend on the location, where they can in fact be valued more highly that brick places. These are the only ones I've seen in this nice suburb of Canberra, so I guess hard to say how they will/should compare. Cheers.

4. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

yes very hard to compare and to put a value to it so you'll have to look at previous sales in the same complex.

Some people like the combination of brick and weatherboard.
    For example 1 of our neighbours built a brand new double storie house in brick and the top 1 m of the house is weatherboard.

To me it looks unfinished but he loves it