wealthier, younger and happier in a tree-lined street

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by WattleIdo, 10th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...at-living-near-trees-is-good-for-your-health/

Trees are a priority. What do you think?

In a new paper published Thursday, a team of researchers present a compelling case for why urban neighborhoods filled with trees are better for your physical health. The research appeared in the open access journal Scientific Reports.
    The large study builds on a body of prior research showing the cognitive and psychological benefits of nature scenery — but also goes farther in actually beginning to quantify just how much an addition of trees in a neighborhood enhances health outcomes. The researchers, led by psychologist Omid Kardan of the University of Chicago, were able to do so because they were working with a vast dataset of public, urban trees kept by the city of Toronto — some 530,000 of them, categorized by species, location, and tree diameter — supplemented by satellite measurements of non-public green space (for instance, trees in a person’s back yard).
    They also had the health records for over 30,000 Toronto residents, reporting not only individual self-perceptions of health but also heart conditions, prevalence of cancer, diabetes, mental health problems and much more.
    “Controlling for income, age and education, we found a significant independent effect of trees on the street on health,” said Marc Berman, a co-author of the study and also a psychologist at the University of Chicago. “It seemed like the effect was strongest for the public [trees]. Not to say the other trees don’t have an impact, but we found stronger effects for the trees on the street.”
    Indeed, given the large size of the study, the researchers were able to compare the beneficial effect of trees in a neighborhood to other well-known demographic factors that are related to improved health, such as age and wealth. Thus, they found that “having 10 more trees in a city block, on average, improves health perception in ways comparable to an increase in annual personal income of $10,000 and moving to a neighborhood with $10,000 higher median income or being 7 years younger.” (Berman notes that self-perception of health is admittedly subjective, but adds that it “correlates pretty strongly with the objective health measures” the study considered.)
    By Chris Mooney The Washington Post, July 9 at 9:00 AM

Last edited: 10th Jul, 2015
    Sackie, 380, Toon and 1 other person like this.
  2. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Lived in the burbs for a number of years and was terrifically healthy, generally.

I'm now surrounded by trees and nature at home and depressed most of the time. Mentally not healthy at all.

Having said that; if I was in this same predicament and living in the suburbs and concrete, with an hour commute to work through traffic instead of 1 minute; could not stand it and might be dead now...so; maybe it's true, and the trees are saving me?

Physically; not too bad...but I am much older than back in suburbia too.

WattleIdo likes this.
  3. Harro

Harro Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that Bayview. Hope things turn around for you soon.
    I feel however that environment is important to people's overall wellbeing. There is no way known I could reside in a city!

T.C. and WattleIdo like this.
  4. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

I couldn't live in the city apartment, did it for a couple of years when I first moved to Melbourne. I like my space and the additional stress of the person above, below or next door hearing what I do/say/watch would make me go bonkers.

Then again I grew up on acreage so maybe it is to hard to adjust from 5 acres to a multi resi building.

WattleIdo likes this.
  5. Harro

Harro Well-Known Member

I have heard many people say that going from a rural environment to City living is very difficult. They feel claustrophobic.

WattleIdo likes this.
  6. Special order

Special order Well-Known Member

Charles bukowski was very happy lying in bed drinking all day, depends what your into I guess

ej89 and WattleIdo like this.
  7. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I would say so.

Moved from previous company that has big park right in front of me into the middle of the city. Totally miss the park and I ended up taking a quick train back there during lunch.

Currently living in apartment box, the park nearby makes it a lot more bearable.

WattleIdo likes this.
  8. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

I watched a documentary several years ago. It had something to do with urban planning. One thing that I remember that stuck in my mind from this doco was that is a clear correlation and some causation between property values and trees.

Amusingly this is apparently the case everywhere. The doco even traveled to shanty town slums in India and pointed out that apparently this area of a slum is worth more than this area due to the presence of more trees. And that this area of the slum has more wealthy people who own mobile phones and larger TVs while some houses have actual floors rather than mud packed earth.

Was very interesting anyway.

Toon and WattleIdo like this.
  9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Tree lined streets is often synonomous with the older more affluent suburbs and a REA must have line in ads.

Unfortunately they play havoc with overhead power lines and went out of fashion for a good 20yrs.

With newer planned communities on smaller blocks and underground power the developers are bringing back street trees to provide a nice dose of green in an otherwise barren glut of mcmansions.

My local council is currently providing free street trees to my area and is planting beautiful trees which will look great in 10 or so years.

I have an affinity with trees. I will keep trees where I can on my developments - one development is retaining 3-4 mature jacarandas.

EN710 and WattleIdo like this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Great, I love jacarandas, magnificent when they flower, masses of purple everywhere, I call it the purple carpet.

We live in an older area, tree lined street, jacarandas, pretty happy here so are my children. We have also lived in new areas, no trees prefer trees:)

Perhaps its not just about the trees and its all the other stuff the areas provides, ie community feel, proximity to shops etc.

MTR:)

Westminster and WattleIdo like this.
  11. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

That sounds terrible - you should get yourself checked out.

Work out what makes you happy and then get lots of it.

WattleIdo likes this.
  12. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Truth be known, one of the reasons I love the place I'm renting atm so much is that there's a really beautiful street-tree jacaranda which I can see from my bed. I don't use the blinds at all because then I can't see the tree. In the morning I wake up and there's that beautiful tree. The purple of jacarandas is wonderful especially when en masse. The jacaranda has many beautiful looks throughout the year. My favourite is the chartreuse stage.
    Unfortunately, there's a young jacaranda and a rapidly growing liquid amber in the front yards of the house I'll be renovating in a few months - the one surrounded by sewer lines. I think I'm going to have to cut them down. :oops: Will probably put in as many pear trees as I can. And some pencil pines.
    Fortunately there are also jacarandas growing in the street there.

Toon and EN710 like this.
  13. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Yes, interesting. There must be something innate in us combined with actively seeking out an environment which incorporates a beautiful organic structure.

14. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

A few concerned replies already... You should seek out some help if you are feeling like this "most of the time" - it doesnt necessarily have to be like that. Seek out some help! Start with your GP... At worst, a good GP can at least hear you air your griefs or send you on to someone who can.

WattleIdo likes this.
  15. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

I would totally agree with the tree theories. When I first attempted uni years ago I lived on campus at La Trobe in a building surrounded by gum trees. Sadly, my room was the only one on my floor which did not look out onto the trees, but a concrete walkway. I'm 99% sure that if I'd had one of those beautiful tree views I would not have dropped out after first year.

I'm currently in the process of trying to hide all the hideous Colorbond fencing with trees & climbing things at my PPOR & find it a frustratingly slow process. Luckily the council-planted pin oak street trees have grown pretty fast.

WattleIdo likes this.
  16. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Maybe...would need to see the actual research paper.

They mentioned that it was a very large study. Sometimes when the study is large it has a power level that turns otherwise statistically insignificant results into results that are P < .05

I do wonder about the actual level of correlation and whether or not they controlled for extraneous variables that would otherwise explain the correlations.

And at the end of the day correlation doesn't = causation. Many other extraneous variables that could otherwise explain the result.

Kind of like saying shoe size is correlated with intelligence. That's 100% true. However you have to account for the extraneous variable of age which also correlates with both shoe size and intelligence and therefore explains away the prior correlation.

Would be good to perform some research where they measure levels of depression in a neighbourhood, plant a heap of trees, come back later and see what their depression levels are. Or the opposite, measure depression levels, chop down a whole heap of tress and then see what the levels are.

WattleIdo likes this.
  17. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Yes, that would be interesting. There's probably a lot more to it and as there have already been several studies done which come up with similar conclusions, it's time someone worked out what the cause is.
    On the other hand, do you have to do a whole lot of studies to know that if you contemplate your day while looking at a tree, sit under the stars, put your hands in the soil, etc, that you're going to feel more connected? Most of these studies are just reminding us of what we already know.

18. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

When I lived on the streets during the gfc the places I liked best were the tree lined streets. So I would agree whole heartedly.

Toon and WattleIdo like this.
  19. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Gotta say - this is evoking some very interesting responses.:)
    How long were you on the streets @Pistonbroke? And did any of the tree-lined residents take you in?

20. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

Been on easy street for quite a while. ;)

WattleIdo likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia