Wealth Build Australia, Asset financial services, DJM Accounting

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by MadProps, 10th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    What I was getting at is that CF+ properties (cash cows) can aid with debt reduction, because they add net after tax income to your household. Debt reduction is really valuable in a lending environment where borrowing capacity is limited - especially because all existing debt is assessed at 7% P&I or higher . Often 7.2% - 7.5% P&I by many lenders . So removing debt - especially non income producing, non deductible debt such as PPOR debt, credit cards, HELP debt, car loans etc - can have a very significant impact on future borrowing capacity. But even where PPOR debt or other non income producing, non deductible debt is not a factor, CF+ properties serve other very useful purposes. They will enable you migrate investment loans to P&I and pay down debt faster, thereby establishing equity even in periods of low growth. They can also serve as a hedge against future rate increases.

In the end .. extra net income is extra net income. I don't know about you, but I don't think having extra net after tax income is ever a bad thing , right? :)

Yes, a 200K cash cow would work, provided it generates the surpluses you want/need ie 6,7,8K CF+ or better. Really, any property where strong net surpluses can be achieved- whether resi cash cows such as NRAS or dual occ, or commercial , or adding a granny flat to something you already own, can be helpful. Even US properties (if you can get the numbers right....) As long as you use the surpluses as intended- ie for debt reduction.

Just make sure you buy to a borrowing budget that is affordable to your circumstances, and reinvest whatever surpluses you generate towards debt reduction. This way you know that whatever happens - low growth, no growth, P&I re-sets etc- you have insulation that those with vanilla yields dont have .

Buying 1 or 2 INV properties is generally the easy part. Harvesting equity to buy more and more properties, then holding those properties when lending changes or rates change or P&I re-sets happen, is the real challenge now. Cash flow and debt reduction help with that.

Last edited: 28th Apr, 2018