We will all need shrinks in 3 months

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by MTR, 26th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noomi_nooma

noomi_nooma Well-Known Member

Bunbury, craigc and wylie like this.
  2. noomi_nooma

noomi_nooma Well-Known Member

Also for what is worth, I do support the current restrictions in place.

Gockie, Bunbury, craigc and 2 others like this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Agree. Regardless of what caused the growth in Victoria, it has to be squashed hard, or we risk the exponential growth that we have seen to overwhelm other countries.

I imagine if "the people" could behave, quarantine as promised and not sneak out for any reason, then as a nation, we could possible open up. But enough people have proved they simply refuse to do the right thing that they need to be treated like children. And all it takes is for one to do the wrong thing, and it is off and running again.

4. BunnyXiao

BunnyXiao Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry for your situation.
    Those are good questions you ask. I have been living and working in China for 5 years and have lived and worked in other countries most of my life. And there are many great countries in the world to live in. I think everyone who is nationalistic thinks their country is best. But maybe have a look around the globe as there are many different realities. Good luck with all. I feel sad for many and feel lucky I am safe and ok here during this time. Sometimes hard times make us wake up to face realities and re think our perspectives

Gockie, MTR, Angel and 1 other person like this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Not so much "how it was run" but more that those running it trusted those involved in the day to day of having common sense and being trustworthy - without having to have it spelt out in minute details (and even then some involved do the wrong thing)

This comes back to the reason we need enforceable lockdowns and border closures - because a sector of people simply can't seem to do the right thing, despite having everything explained in detail

kierank likes this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Heard an very poignant quote yesterday - can't remember it verbatim - but went something along the lines of "in times of crisis people show their true personalities"

This is a time where the glossing over and pretty facades, for those that have no real substance, are crumbling and showing their true colours - hopefully this will be a catalyst for change for the better - more community - more sustainability - more caring - less selfishness - more awareness that we belong within the world, and all it contains, not separate to it

Angel, Bunbury, kierank and 3 others like this.
  7. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

A Young Fantasy Scifi author penned this which was not in relation to the pandemic but it resonated with me around how people are non-masking, protesting, doing the wrong thing:

"All men have the capacity to do bad things, it is only when presented with the opportunity to do bad yet still chooses to do good that the man shows his true self"

In my view, we all have the opportunity to do the wrong thing here. What true self do we want to be :).

Gockie, Lizzie, kierank and 1 other person like this.
  8. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Perhaps read up on the quarantine fiasco, it had nothing to do with people sneaking out, it was about lack of training and incorrect training by the health department, the recruitment of and lack of oversight of untrained/undertrained staff, no effective chain of command, lack of auditing, amongst other stuff ups.

The government treated the program as a detainment situation with very little consideration to the quarantine side of the situation.

To this day the Government cannot or will not state which Department was in charge of the project, surely a Government in control of such a vital project would have the answer, but they are either utterly lost or have politicised(or both) the situation to protect their reputation.

Dan Andrews has gone from a very popular Premier to now becoming a very polarising politician with less and less support as time goes by.

craigc, MTR and noomi_nooma like this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I did mention in an earlier post that the people used to guard those in quarantine were not chosen wisely. So this post was about those under guard who have done the wrong thing.

Same as the people who are sneaking through borders. Why must people behave like children, and then complain when they have to be "minded"?

Lizzie and kierank like this.
  10. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Perhaps you can give some details on how many sneaked out as you claim to have happened?

MTR likes this.
  11. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

All of this are examples of people not being responsible and not doing the right thing. Whether it be public servants, hotel management, security company management, security guards, cleaners, citizens, ...

Same as sailing a yacht from Melbourne to Gold Coast and lying, catching a flight from Melbourne to Brisbane via Sydney and lying, ...

It really annoys the majority of us who are responsible and do the right thing as, like everyone, we want this to end asap.

Irresponsible and untrustworthy folk are prolonging the pain for everyone - today, tomorrow and for many, many years into the future.

Too many people did not take COVID seriously enough but they are slowly learning...

wylie and craigc like this.
  12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

google "sneak out of quarantine" and there are dozens (and dozens) of stories from every state. I'm not going to copy/paste them all

wylie and kierank like this.
  13. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

The 1 in 4 not staying at home claim from the Vic premier was later confirmed as less than 1% of people out without good reason (Ie seeking medical treatment etc) by Victoria Police.
    It was then directly asked to Vic Pol at the press
    conference about the 1 in 4 claim and they confirmed it was incorrect.

In saying that due to the hotel debacle, I believe we now do need to be in quarantine to save lives and most people are ‘doing the right thing’ despite a few highly publicised ‘Karens’ not wearing masks etc at Bunnings (when that was allowed). :mad:

Thankfully for Victorians we can still watch the football which helps a lot and watching a GF in Brisbane will be unusual, but for those that are doing it very tough In lockdown, please seek expert assistance from Beyondblue or other experts in those mental health fields.

kierank and Lizzie like this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I believe the 1 in 4 claim was regarding people who had tested positive, were meant to stay in self isolation, yet were found not to be home when visited by defence personnel

15. turk

turk Well-Known Member

I googled and also found pages, checked the first 2 pages, none referred to the Victorian Quarantine program which I referred to.

No doubt a few broke quarantine however the outbreak which makes up approx. 99% of the Victorian cases has been traced back to hotel staff and security staff spreading the virus.

Perhaps with your wide knowledge of the scheme you can tell us which Victorian Government Dept. was leading the project?

MTR likes this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yes ... having fratinations with someone in quarantine ... or someone in quarantine having sex with their guard ... was not a very good idea, which common sense would tell you. Neither is sneaking out.

All examples point to a small sector of people not being able to be trusted ... so once again, due to a few the many have to be affected.

Sadly it proves very difficult to legislate against stupidity

kierank and wylie like this.
  17. turk

turk Well-Known Member

That was the claim however when Vic. police followed up on those not at home they found some were home but in places such as in a shower, backyard etc where the door bell wasn't heard, others were out for reasons they were legally allowed out for such as getting medicines.

The main reason was that the due to underfunding the Department doing the tracing were still using pen and paper rather than computers and there were many errors in the transcribing the of the details such as names addresses which led to wrong places being checked.

From memory it is only in the last week the system has been finally upgraded.

I believe only 40 people were fined after the follow up.

craigc, MTR and Lizzie like this.
  18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I probably know no more than you ... I am simply not so quick to apportion blame to figureheads when someone at the coal face knowingly does the wrong thing ... as long as the lesson is learnt and the instigator is removed

Last edited: 28th Aug, 2020
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

yes this is true

when jobseeker stops the real pain will start for many

20. turk

turk Well-Known Member

It would seem that you, me and all other Victorians and the rest of Australia has no idea who led the quarantine program and why it got out of hand in the way that it did.

It's not about apportioning blame, it's about transparency and responsibility, it's about finding out what went right, want went wrong, what needs tweaking.

The way this virus moves others States could quickly be in this situation and the quicker they have the information they can be much better prepared.

craigc, MTR and wylie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.