We aren't getting what was explicitly included in the listing.

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Paul R, 13th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Paul R

Paul R New Member

Good evening all.

We have bought an established home and are looking forward to settlement on 28 Sep.

When we were looking at the house, it had a beautiful big play equipment set in the back yard. It was specifically mentioned as being included in the listing for the house, with photos of the play equipment included in the listing. We thought it would be great for the kids.

When we got to see the sales contract, we noted that it doesn't mention inclusion of exclusion of the play set. We asked our solicitor to chase it up, but it kind of got lost in everything else going on. We weren't too worried because we relied on the fact it was specifically mentioned in the listing.

We went for a drive past the house today, and out of sheer coincidence, saw that the play equipment was being moved out, on to the back of someones house.

We've emailed our solicitor to see what we can do.

Do we have any recourse? I get that the answer is probably ”too bad if it's not in the contract” but if that's the case, shouldn't someone be accountable for the misleading advertising?

2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Tell your solicitor to tell the vendor's solicitor that you won't settle unless it's put back, or the contract price is reduced $10,000 (or whatever).
    They might call your bluff, but I'd try it. Whether they're legally obligated, given it's not in the contract, I don't know, but others might.
    Ask your solicitor about the legal situation as well, that's what you're paying them for.

Rugrat, TMNT, Stoffo and 3 others like this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

AFAIK in Vic, if it wasn't specifically included in the contract and it is not a fixture, it won't be included in settlement.

The Y-man

Poppy likes this.
  4. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

It's your responsibility to check the contract before you sign, that's why your solicitor gives you a copy. It's possible the play equipment was for sale, BUT as a separate entity and was not included in the price of the property. Does the ad contain the word 'included'?

Last edited: 14th Sep, 2020
  5. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

The contract you signed doesn't include it, that's pretty much the bottom line. You could try to bluff them.

Rugrat likes this.
  6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I love what one agent told me regarding chattels - they said "Imagine if you could turn the property upside down. Anything that falls out doesn't stay."

The Y-man

lixas4, TMNT, Stoffo and 2 others like this.
  7. noomi_nooma

noomi_nooma Well-Known Member

If it is in the advertising copy I would of thought that you could have a case for false/misleading advertising?

8. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Probably true, but if it can be shown that it gets moved from backyard to backyard to make the sale, then you might easily be able to argue that it's intentionally misleading and might actually constitute a criminal offence, not a civil one.

But again, I'm not a lawyer, but since Paul is paying for one already, it would be good to put the question to them.

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

What was your solicitors advice prior to signing to include the CHATTELS ? Pictures and assumptions are.not part of a contract

10. Paul@PAS

Certainly not. Crimes Act? Meh

Perp likes this.
  11. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

The contract will probably have a clause that states you have not relied upon anything external to the contract.

But it could have been false advertising or a false misrepresentation under Aust Consumer law.
    Might be worth the cost of getting your lawyer t sent them a letter stating this. But you would be risky a lot of money to litigate it.

Perp and Stoffo like this.
  12. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

If it was one of those elcheapo steel sets held down by a couple of tent pegs then no, forget it.
    Should it have been a large timber one with posts into the ground like stumps then yes, I'd actually consider it to be a fixture.
    What makes this item any different to a timber garden shed or even a house on stumps, both can be moved, but if listed as "a 3br house" you would be blown away to turn up on settlement day to see an empty block .........

13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Our lawyer told us (24 years ago admittedly) that we could take our cubby house because it was not attached to the ground.

The issue arose because our purchasers were trying to reduce the cost due to, in part, the building inspector stating that the cubby was not up to code. Pfffftttt!!!

Femals purchaser's brother was a big shot, big city lawyer, doing the conveyancing for them. What a PITA and what a shame because his attempt at knocking of a few thousand due to a few stumps plus the cubby house meant we took it away.

The female purchaser was pregnant with their first son (we didn't know at the time) so her smarmy big shot lawyer brother stuffed that up well and good.

Too bad, so sad.

Rugrat, Stoffo, Perp and 2 others like this.
  14. Paul@PAS

If the property had a fireplace it would have been funny to cut it up, leave it as firewood and let them slowly burn it. A joke with a real long punchline

Stoffo likes this.
  15. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

especially if it was made out of coppers logs...

16. skater

skater Well-Known Member

This is my thinking also. If it's a super dooper, wiz bang setup, that's cemented into the ground, then I'd consider it a fixture.

Rugrat and Stoffo like this.
  17. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

:cool:
    Good example Paul
    If there's a nice big pile of firewood at inspection in Summer, but a bare patch of ground 6 weeks later at settlement ...........
    What would you think/do ?
    (PS, I sold it all to my neighbor for 24 COLD beer's :p). 20150105_112217.jpg
    OP, hope you have screen shots of the listing (pls post a link)

Last edited: 15th Sep, 2020
  18. Paul@PAS

Reminds me of my mate who bought a farm. They vendor wanted to sell him some (large) furniture but wanted him to pay full new retail prices. So they didnt bother to progress it. Then came settlement and the guy had left it all behind. He contacted his solictor who withheld $$$ as a retention (for about same as the vendor had been asking) as sufficient to cover removal to a tip. The guy didnt bother to remove the furniture. So my mate not only got it for free, but the vendor paid him to take it at almost full retail !!

19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Did your mate want the furniture, or did he keep it?

I would have probably been happy that it was left behind (assuming I liked it and wanted to keep it). I don't think I'd have had the kahunas to take money off to tip it (unless I really did tip it).

20. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

Seen so many weird things (fixtures) not included listed in contract such as light fittings (reason was sentimental value!!) plants etc

Whenever I have bought or sold there are often large items left behind. Can be annoying or serendipitous...

Last time I sold we left play equipment and trampoline - but buyer threatened to cancel settlement if trampoline not removed... so we had to pay the agents brother to remove it!!! He then charged us 400 for 30 min work
    ...when we could have simply left it for council pickup. Ridiculous behaviour

Buyers also were demolishing house but also insisted we remove a massive antique wardrobe no one would move . I ignored them.