Ways to get around $11000 Qld building threshold

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Tamsicle, 20th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tamsicle

Tamsicle New Member

Hi everyone I have searched around for answers on this topic but not found anything specific enough as yet, so hopefully this hasn’t been covered under a different thread already.

With the $11000 cap on trades doing work on a renovation in Qld can anyone tell me if these would be ways to get around it (in particular if selling within 6 years)

A.) In a bathroom reno where you might need plumbing, tiling/waterproofing, shower Glass etc. Assuming you could get each trade to do their bit for under $3300 and in total the work and materials came under the $11000 threshold, would this be ok legally with no need to use a builder?

B.) Could you also get around the $11000 rule if it was possible to get low enough quotes from trades but do most of the work yourself instead and only use/pay for work you have to such as plumbing (an occupational licenced trade)?

I know trades are pretty expensive per hour wise but if you had mates or found a trade that would quote low for jobs just so you could stay under the $11000, couldn’t these be the quotes you went by when estimating the cost for the total job (whose to say their price is too cheap).

Also does anyone know if there is a time frame that $11000 cap would stand. For example could you do $11000 of work each month and have a short break or every 6 months, or yearly?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I believe the $11k is the total value of the job if it was done by a builder. It is crazy but I get that there are reasons for it. I don't think any of your "work arounds" would cut the mustard.

I wonder if anybody heeds this (mostly) silly rule?

3. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

No way I can see.....
    The market value of the work must be less than $11,000 if you are an owner.....otherwise you need an owner builder permit with a six year repeat limit.
    And it gets listed on the title as there is no insurance for OB work.

Quote from QBCC -
    "The value of building work is the reasonable cost to a consumer of having the work carried out by a licensed contractor on the basis that materials, labour and GST are included, regardless of who supplies the materials."

I am planning a large deck with a market value around $30k if I got trades to do it.....my price is just material & free time but the code clearly states "market rate" and value. So I am also trying to get a workable solution with a lower price....;)

See the link - When you don't need a licence

Good luck.

Last edited: 20th Apr, 2016
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Why would anyone want not to have the home warranty insurance to cover you if the tradies stuff up? What's it going to save/cost if you need it?

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What I think is silly is that if we want to renovate our bathroom, we can pay a plumber and he has cover, a tiler who has cover, an electrician who has cover but if the total of those three tradies would cost more than $11k then we cannot actually hire them individually to do the job. I get that it is there to protect people but when you are using qualified, insured tradies I think it is overkill.

I think the $11k is just too low for many little jobs that dont need a "builder" to organize the trades, eg renovating a bathroom.

I wonder if painting your own house internally or externally would fall under this limit?

6. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

Source your own tradies and enter into a construction. Management contract with a licensed builder who will essentially Sign off on the work and you will use his insurance or better yet find a licensed builder who is willing to work on an hourly rate ...plenty of them around ie handyman with licences.

gman65 likes this.
  7. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Check with a private certifer. They sometimes let you do things in 11k stages