Waterproofing / Sealing Brick Wall

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Something_Wrong, 17th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

HI All
    I have a garage brick wall which cops a lot of water during rain events and very little sun,

The wall doesn't leak water as such but after 2 or 3 days rain the wall feels damp to touch and if we have more than 4 days rain it does leave a wet mark on your hand to touch.

I can get access to the outside bricks and was thinking of using a clear sealer to provide some help in sealing the brick work, the mortar is all fine its just the amount of water that runs down this wall creates the issue, so looking to do a two pronged attack, fix the water issue and seal the brick work.

Anyone have a product they have used and recommended, only needs to treat about 5sqm

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Something_Wrong likes this.
  3. K&S Building Management

K&S Building Management New Member

There are a few issues to consider. Sealing the face of the brickwork will help, but don’t forget to seal the top of the brickwork as well. You will then need to address the issue of rising damp although this should not be the problem you state of leaving your hand moist when you touch the bricks. Primarily seal the face of the bricks and the mortar and the top of the brickwork. Can you put capping on the top of the brickwork?

4. Something_Wrong

Hi Ks
    Rising damp should not be a issue the slab is 80mm above the surrounding path and drains away.

the top of the brick is covered by the colourbond roof, the gutter design needs sorting as from observing In last nights rain between the gutter and the rain, there is a constant trickle of water running down the brick work.

I cleaned out the gutter again full of leaves but I think the issue is the drain spigot is to small for the amount of water, so the gutter then overflows and the water wraps in under the gutter and down the brick work in that one area.

the main house also has a Gutter drain spigot which drops water directMy onto the colourbond roof above the garage Sprigot which adds to the total water in that one place where I have the issue.

I am going to move the house drain to another area and see if that helps, combined with the brick sealer and other ideas for the garage gutter.

“typing with a broken phone screen I dropped while using as a torch last night makes spell checking hard”

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Waterproofing does breakdown and must be reapplied. But its largely invisible and very easily applied. 2 coats. First will soak up readily where second wont. best performed in warm dry weather and not when damp as water cant evap back out either.

We did this to a stencil concrete floor area (different product) that was suffering from mildew and its been great for several years and needs to be redone in October. Water just sits in beads and runs to drains. Like its glass. Silicone based should be avoided as it prevents any future paint. Depends on the wall. Tip : No ivy. Ivy eats the surface protection and leaves it porous.

Brick & Render Sealer: Sealers: Crommelin

6. Something_Wrong

Thanks Paul
    Will never be painting the Garage as the bricks match the heritage house.