Waterproofing price for a brand new bathroom and Laundry - it's $500 too cheap?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Jat, 1st May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jat

Jat Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm building a brand new bathroom and laundry in a new site. there is nothing there now besides the walls and pipes.
    I got a couple of quotes and they said $900 for the laundry and bathroom. Including the waterproofing certificate for the certifier.
    My tradie recommended me a new waterproofer that quoted me $500 for the same including the certificates.
    Is that suspiciously cheap or it sounds reasonable?

Note that bathroom and laundry are on a concrete slab on the ground floor so no risk to leak underneath.

Thanks!

2. David_SYD

David_SYD Well-Known Member

Nah, it wouldn’t be rocket science. Paint on the membrane. Done

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That's why there's an Aust Standard, the applicator needs to be trained to minimise the risk that the membrane will leak and cause damage.

What are they providing? Each may be using a different system. Any liquid membrane that is completed in less than a day, not of the specified thickness and doesn't require curing for 2-3 days is not according to specs.

4. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Kinda sounds like the kind of thing you want done properly.

If it leaks it will cost you a lot more than $500 to repair.

Honestly I'd do more research and get it done well, rather than cheap. It will work out costing you less in the long run.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It's hard to say however the Australian standard is a bit lacking in my opinion. For example in the standard you just need to do the joins in a shower not the whole shower. It is the preference of some trades/owners/builders that the WHOLE shower should be done

So one person who quoted might have quoted for a job that goes above the Standard and one not - it could be the $500 guy who knows!

The $500 guy could be giving a good rate as he's been referred by your other trade and knows he's more likely to get the work so hasn't given a tyre kicker price. Or he could just be cheaper. Or he could be crapper.

6. Jat

Jat Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for the advice, I'll investigate more around what includes each quote (process, time etc).

Cheers!

7. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Too cheap. There's $200-300 in materials alone if you do it properly - membrane, tape, corner seals, etc. Also probably a return trip for a second coat (unlikely to dry in 4 hours in this weather even if you use the quick set stuff).

wylie likes this.
  8. San2018

San2018 Well-Known Member

Recently I have paid $550 to water proof standard sized bathroom - approx 2.4×1.8). Double coat, shower area and up to 100mm from floor in other areas.

Its in Sydney.

Last edited: 2nd May, 2020
  9. David_SYD

David_SYD Well-Known Member

I’ve worked as a QS for several Tier 1/2 Builders for the last 13 years. Waterproofing to that type of area (probably no more than 30m2) can easily be done to AS for $500.00. It all depends on what the Waterproofer values their own time at.

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Yes, it probably can be done for the price however they're also doing 20+ wet areas in one building. Multiple visits for one bathroom aren't feasible but If they're working on other parts of a building they aren't leaving the site.

Mobs like April Showers have been around for 30 odd years and know what they're doing.

I've yet to see a resi bathroom with more than 15-20m² unless your tanking all of the walls.

11. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

In my opinion, the Australian standard only covers the bare minimum. Waterproofing is not something you want to cheap out on. Although it's not as much of a drama having it on a lowset concrete pad, failures can still cause expensive damages seeping through walls etc, and most importantly- moisture attracts termites!

Westminster likes this.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.