Waterproofing membrane didn't extend into the waste pipe

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Frank2000, 5th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Frank2000

Frank2000 Member

Hi Guys,

My mother had a renovation for the bathroom one month ago. Today I found there is a leak from drain pipe of the shower when I was doing some work in the subfloor of her house. It seems that the leak came from the gap between the drain pipe and the PVC floor flange. She told me that the tradesman didn't extend the waterproofing membrane into the waste pipe. [​IMG]But he did apply the waterproofing membrane on the PVC floor flange though.

My question is that:
    1) Can it be fixed by applying some waterproofing membrane in the gap between the drain pipe and the PVC floor flange?
    2) Would this failure cause the entire waterproofing fail in the future? [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Frank

WattleIdo likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Does you mother have any photos of the waterproofing? How does she know it doesn't extend into the waste pipe?

We took photos of every step as a type of insurance if we had leaks. If your mother did the same you could get your waterproofer back to see what he will do to fix this.

WattleIdo likes this.
  3. Frank2000

Frank2000 Member

Unfortunately she didn't take any photos of the waterproofing. She saw the tradie put a big floor flange on the drain pipe before waterproofing. After waterproofing the whole floor was green expect the surface of floor flange.

The tradie is a very good friend of hers and did the job for very cheap price. But I don't think he has a proper license of waterproofing.:(

4. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what gap you're talking about between the drain pipe and the floor flange? Once the floor flange is inserted into the drain it should be snug, and terminate down a fair distance so liquid can't really escape out of this joint.. in doing so it would defy gravity.
    If it's the puddle flange I'm thinking about, you don't actually apply the waterproofing into the drain (as per the manufacturer's specs). Have a look at page 6 (wondercap retro cap)
    http://www.wondercap.com.au/assets/Uploads/instructionMANUAL-email.pdf

Without taking up the tiling and tile bed (which will most likely destroy the evidence) I imagine the fault is the waterproofing around the puddle flange.

Perthguy likes this.
  5. vbplease

Did it go over the flange at all? or just around it? :eek:

6. Frank2000

Frank2000 Member

Thanks vbplease. The flange wasn't inserted into the drain. It is more like the drain pipe was inserted into the flange.:confused: So there is a visible gap between flange and the drain pipe.

The waterproofing went over the flange partially (perhaps halfway) but didn't go into the drain pipe.

7. vbplease

Oh dear.. that's a pretty bad error.. No wonder it's leaking. What damage has it caused below? A plumber could try fitting a new waste pipe - hopefully not damaging the waterproofing above.
    It's possible the waterproofing is ok - according to the specs I linked above. I'd get a (licensed) Plumber to fix the waste pipe in the first instance and then I'd monitor the subfloor. Changing the puddle flange now (not likely required) would involve taking up the tiles and waterproofing. A new waterproofer would want to do all the waterproofing and not warrant a localised repair.

8. Laker

Laker Well-Known Member

The flange should always be glued inside of the waste pipe. A licensed plumber should be able to glue the right size pipe from underneath without damaging the waterproofing.
    I would be a little bit worried about what else was done incorrectly though!

vbplease likes this.
  9. Frank2000

Frank2000 Member

So far it hasn't caused any damage below. The leaking water travels through the drain pipe towards the ground.

I think the gap can be fixed by applying some silicone or other material. But not sure about whether the waterproofing will fail in near future. I was wondering if the water would gradually peel off waterproofing layer on the flange as the edge of that layer is directly exposed to water.o_O

10. Frank2000

Frank2000 Member

Yeah. I am worried about the waterproofing layer which may fail as the membrane was only applied halfway on the flange.

11. vbplease

That's one way to do it, but the silicone will be holding water indefinitely. If it's just soil in the subfloor then it's not the end of the world. If there was a ceiling below I'd definitely put in a new waste pipe.. I'd only rely on the silicone for a couple of years.
    I know what you mean - the adhesion of waterproofing to PVC would be bugger all.. but since there is a tile bed over, the weight/strength of this should be preventing liquid seeping under by capillary action. The manufacturer has advised this is ok if you trust them ;)

Frank2000 likes this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Frank2000 likes this.
  13. Frank2000

Frank2000 Member

Thanks vbplease. Hopefully I was over concerned.:rolleyes:

14. Chillingout

Chillingout Member

I'm a waterproofer and don't fully understand what you mean? Waterproofing membranes shouldn't peel off a flange if installed properly, the flange should fit internally inside a waste pipe 99% of the time and there certainly shouldn't be a visible gap between the flange and inside of a waste pipe. Pm me if required. I wouldn't touch anything without having waterproofer back to check on his work or he might try to get out of it. There are ways to flood test to check if waterproofing has failed.