NSW Waterloo (Sydney) to receive new train station

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Justin_Z, 16th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Justin_Z

Justin_Z Mortgage Broker Business Member

Not sure if this has been posted yet-

Waterloo chosen over Sydney University as site for new metro train station

Interesting parts of the article besides the new location, is the removal of public housing (aka The Blocks). Wonder how this will affect prices in the area as there may be an increase in demand from gentrification but offset by the large amounts of supply they plan on putting in (along with the new units coming up at Green Square which is pretty close by).

2. Arashi87

Arashi87 Well-Known Member

Station will locate at approx. 15 min walking distance from all the apartments...

And from what I gathered, even 5 min walk is too far for some people nowadays...

3. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Will be interesting to see what comes of this. 10,000 new dwellings over 30 years.

More pleasing for me is the upgrade and conversion to metro rail that runs by my Marrickville apartments, and the new access they'll have.

4. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Station needed to be located at Sydney University if the government was genuine about servicing the greatest number of people.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Chilliblue demand around the uni isn't going to grow anything like a new major development. The uni is already adequately catered for by existing bus services and heavy rail at Redfern and Central.

Sydney uni is a federal owned/run institution (so the state would receive little benefit).

6. Chilliblue

Sydney University has over 60,000 students, 5,000 staff and over 2,000 ancillary.

Then add RPA Hospital staff and all the adjoining medical, the existing and proposed residential development, Broadway Shopping Centre and adjoining retail and I think you find that more people would use a station at Sydney University.

7. Scott No Mates

But they're already catered for with existing services.

8. Chilliblue

Not really. Parking is at a premium and one of the arguments for light rail was to remove as many vehicles off the roads as possible. Short term thinking to assist a few developments.

9. Bangalter

Bangalter New Member

It is the opposite of short term thinking. The population of Waterloo is rapidly increasing into one of the most densely populated areas of Sydney and requires the infrastructure to support this growth.

10. Scott No Mates

I don't see massive waves of workers, residents, students and patients walking down Broadway, City Rd, Cleveland St or Missenden Rd on a daily basis.

The extra transport is to cater for the next waves of population growth with the current system built close to 100 years ago stretched to capacity.

11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I agree with Scott. Sydney Uni already has Redfern Station nearby, Broadway has Central Station. Waterloo needs it more.
    Waterloo will have a larger population growth in the future than the other areas so I think its more forward thinking. I even have an apartment that would have benefitted more from a station at Sydney Uni, but hand on heart, the decision to choose Waterloo is the right one.