Water, water... Brisbane

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Pumpkin, 4th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Well, this is not about the lack of rain/water, but about the water supply industry.:(

Queensland Urban Utilities which supplies to most in the City, issues their bills very late. Usually 3-months late. I spoke to them and basically getting nowhere although the person acknowledge that they do have the current meter readings, but to put that into the system "takes tine". I am not expecting instant billing, but is 3-months acceptable in this day and age?

The issue is our last 3 Quarterly Bills (covering the past 10 months from Oct-18 to Apr-19) is on increasing trend to a very dangerous level. Plumbers and us had been working very hard and couldnt establish anything useful, and QUU cant help.......

Not sure whether this is a rant, or anyone can offer any help. Joy of managing!

2. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

Welcome to QUU! Issued my bill late too, also issued my first bill to the old owners, I can forgive them for that one.

Pumpkin and Sackie like this.
  3. ozwanderlust

ozwanderlust Well-Known Member

Not sure why QUU is so backward in their bills, particularly the water usage. I have complained but got nowhere. Time for them to upgrade their billing systems. Whenever tenants move out, I have to remind agents to read the meters and invoice tenants as their usage will not appear on the QUU water bills until months later. VIC has the best system where tenants are billed directly for water usage and landlords never have to worry about it.

Archaon, craigc, luckyone and 3 others like this.
  4. Pumpkin

Dan Wood likes this.
  5. Pumpkin

Exactly my thought! We can get Tenants to open Account for Internet, Electricity and even Gas Hot Water. Why cant the Tenants also get invoiced for Water? Blrrrrrrrr.....

Just looked at another property. Last bill issued in July, readings for May!
    Time to start a Petition?

When I spoke to QUU, the person asked me t do the Reading myself monthly or something. What the!

6. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

I don't use the bills, I take readings at entry/exit and during inspections and generate my own invoices, it is better for a few different reasons. Here's a 1 pager I made for my Owners (and tenants who have questions)

upload_2019-9-4_19-43-4.png

luckyone, Perp and ozwanderlust like this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Queensland's Useless Umpaloompas

Archaon, meni, Dan Wood and 2 others like this.
  8. Pumpkin

Wow, good on you Michael! And thanks for sharing, hopefully I dont have to use this. :p
    We only had one property where the Owner insists on charging the Tenants. All other Properties are rented inclusive of Water.
    Since we are only able to charge a small portion of the bills, and need to be water-efficient etc, we dont think it is worthwhile doing it.
    Mind you, we are extremely small.

Just heard that Brisbane will be expecting a very dry summer... Sigh.....

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  9. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Had a nice letter from QUU this week. There has been a slight increase in water consumption at our property - 831kL in one quarter! That’s a $2500 water bill!

First thing I checked was the meter - Turns out they had read it wrong. Heart attack subsided but noted that it had been read back in July. If I had been haemorrhaging water that badly through a leak I would have been up for another 2 months of fees by the time I was even aware of the issue.

10. Michael Mitchell

Had a similar one but it was an actual leak underground, $6,500 bill! QUU were good - they waived their component which knocked about half the bill off, then the Body Corporate came to the party and is likely to pay the balance above normal use for the lot, in this case it was an interesting one as the leak was after the lots' water meter but situated on common property - they did the right thing without fuss which was pleasing for all involved.

11. Pumpkin

Very lucky for you. Looks like those properties are individually billed?

12. Michael Mitchell

Yes and no, these things can get complicated especially with layered schemes, various head meters, etc.

13. Pumpkin

Dan Wood likes this.