water waste flood

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by maggielee69, 23rd Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. maggielee69

maggielee69 New Member

Back in October 2017 I moved into a brand new property being 1st tennant Who would think anything major could go wrong.
    November 17th my toilet blocked had a huge back flow of waste coming up through all sink plugs bath n shower bays, the smell was rank.
    Plumbet was called out when he decided to actually stop pussy footing around 2 hours later he decided to investigate the problem.
    Real Estate vacated myself n family into a hotel for a few days.
    The plumber had stated was no fault of mine there is a broken pipe whew a great relief.
    Professional cleaner was called in who stayed all of 30 minutes enough time to clean bathrooms, rip bedroom carpet up, remove bed n mop all floors.
    Long story short i received a call from property management regarding he was happy to replace my bed except the findings the plumber found were wet ones n 1 tampon.
    Due to the contamination i lost quite a bit of my stuff.
    There were 3 different reports submitted to the real estate before xmas which was not followed up by the property manager.
    Each email sent to the agent regarding any answers to the reports n never got 1 response to my questions.
    I decided to call on another plumber 4 days ago as i just had this gut feeling theres a swifty going on due to faulty plumbing.

Plumbers findings are:
    In my findings, I have found that a secondary over flow relief gully is needed or possibly a sewage backflow device on the councils side or the lowest point of the main drain near the boundary trap, due to the recent council overflow surcharges inside the premises, and causing damage to tentants personal items and belongings.

Also while clearing a blockage on the premises i found large parts of pvc plastic swarf and off cut pvc pieces draining downstream from the bolt and trap screw at the boundary trap, due to human error during the installation process.

I recommend a follow up inspection from the local council or urban utilities to inspect the heights and falls of the main drainage system.

Thanking you.

(another blockage) who will they blame this time as I had been away from my house since the 6th December on holidays visiting family In Tasmania.

I called up the real estate informing them Ive had a plumber in and the flood was not in any way my fault etc and im waiting on his report.
    The lady became quite offensive and asked wether Or not Qstars have been notified and or law suit against them happening.
    I furthet tried to explain just to be talked over and accused of recording the conversation n in no un certain manner she said there will be no more verbal discussions n her staff will be informed not to speak with me via phone any contact needs to be in writing n hung the phone up.

Does this sound like crafty intentions based on their knowing the problem laid with the plumbing n wasnt expecting myself to look into further.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

What is Qstars?

3. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

There's quite a bit of confusion going on in your story as far as timelines and missing information. Your sentences are also a little bit jumbled, so it's difficult to read.

Breaking this down into a timeline as far as I understand it;

- October 2017: Moved in.
    - November 2017: Sewerage Flood.
    - Agency organised for you to vacate the property and stay in a Hotel for the time being.
    - Plumber #1 attended and replaced broken pipe.
    - Cleaner attended to de-contaminate. (I'm assuming from this stage the Real Estate gave you the go ahead to move back into the property?)
    - The Real Estate advised you that their information indicated the tampons and wet ones were responsible for the blockage. (Was this a report from Plumber #1 who first told you it was a broken pipe, or is this another plumber, possibly from the builder directly?
    - What are these three reports you're referring to- Insurance reports? Different plumbers?

- You commissioned your own Plumber (good idea) who reported multiple other issues and found evidence of installation fault.
    - There's more missing here from your side. There's no reason even a nasty Property Manager accuses you of threatening a law suit and recording the conversation unless you've given them reason to believe that is the case.

Last edited: 23rd Jan, 2018
    Joynz and Stoffo like this.
  4. TheRayTracer

TheRayTracer Well-Known Member

Well..., that escalated fast. What gave them that impression? Law suite again who - the builders, landlord, or the property managers?

Qstars seems to be a free independent advice and referral service for all Queensland renters - QSTARS

5. chrish

chrish Well-Known Member

If this indeed is a brand new development then the owner should still be with the 7 years builder insurance period, and I would be pursuing that angle. Having recently built a new house myself I'm not surprised there are plumbing problems, inconsiderate tradies often dump weird stuff down the drains.

wylie, Tom Rivera and Elives like this.
  6. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

You wouldn't believe how often we get blocked plumbing in brand new homes!