water usage to either the house or granny flat

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by andy ngo, 28th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. andy ngo

andy ngo Well-Known Member

as new tenancy Legislation becoming effective as at 23rd March , we can no longer charge any water usage to either the house or granny flat unless the granny flat has a separate water meter (provided by Sydney Water) located at the front of the property and a separate bill is issued by Sydney Water for each property.

our granny flat has its own sydney water meter but it doesn't have separated bill. Just wonder is it possible to have a separated bill with existing water meter for granny flat? Have anyone experience this issue?

Before that, the agent came to read the water meter of granny flat and adjust the bill accordingly

thanks

2. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Give Sydney Water a call and check with them by giving them the meter numbers. If its a separate meter, then is the water usage on the bill itemised for each meter? Otherwise if the agent had to read it, maybe the meter is not linked to Syd Water and might not be possible.

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If leglislation states there has to be separate bills then it is hard to see you legally doing it differently??

4. andy ngo

andy ngo Well-Known Member

thanks all. I called Sydney Water and they said we have to get plumber to run pipe to the front and then they will put a new meter through "T" connector. and then we have to call them to get second meter on the same bill. it would cost around 1k or 2k more......If I had known this, I would do that when I built granny flat.. Thanks all for your responses