Water Usage - NSW

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Dalts, 7th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dalts

Dalts Active Member

Hi all,

Currently I have an IP in Sydney - more specifically, it is a 2 bedroom unit, which I self manage.

I had a look at my bill today from Sydney Water and note that the invoice is split up into Water Services and Water Usage costs.

Am I able to charge my tenants for their Water Usage?

Appreciate the help in advance!

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

This will be clearly set out in the tenancy laws for your state.

Since you are self-managing, it is essential that you understand clearly your rights and obligations as a landlord.
    Marg

3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Yes you can if the lease allows it, and so long as the property is fitted with required water saving devices (shower head, dual flush toilet etc)

4. ChrisDim

ChrisDim Well-Known Member

Only IF 1) the unit is individually metered, 2) the unit is certified as following the water efficiency standards in NSW, AND then 3) there is an inclusion in the tenancy agreement.

In my experience older units are not individually metered which is why we are not generally charging tenants of units for water usage.

Tom Rivera and DaveM like this.
  5. G..

G.. Well-Known Member

Note quite... In NSW you have to comply with the water efficiency standards, there is no requirement for any certification. And regarding it being included in the tenancy agreement, the part about the water usage is, by law, "a term of every residential tenancy agreement".

Tom Rivera likes this.