Water tank slab

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Burramys, 2nd Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

A water tank is being installed, 2000 litres, 2030 H X 780 D X 1680 W. This will be put on a concrete slab, which, due to the weight, requires compacting and other aspects done. The narrow design means that in particular the slab must support the tank without tipping. Quotations are:
    - one for about $500;
    - a few at $7-800; and
    - one at $1300.

I will pay what is necessary to get the job done properly. While not mandated
    Domestic builder
    Licensed Concreters – Find Local Qualified Concreters - licensedtrades.com.au
    it seems to me that certification is advised. The slab may not subside for some time, making it hard to claim a remedy. Also, this is up to two tonnes of water, heavy. Interestingly, the amount of pressure under the slab is about half of that of an average adult while walking.

I'm tending to focus on the $7-800 range quotations and see which one of those has the right certification. Advice on this would be valued. TIA.

2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I would like to know about what strength reinforcing goes into the concrete slab. Is it a difficult site to access? Those quotes are more than 100% difference.

3. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

The site aka garden bed is nearly flat, good access, patio of bricks next to the garden bed. The soil is soft, fairly sandy, with a possible water table about 500 mm down. I discovered this when I installed a letterbox post, although this is about 60 metres away.

My understanding is that a hole is excavated, filled with sand, then compacted. This allows moisture to drain. The concrete is reinforced, seems to be a standard method, 100 mm thick. The concrete is 100 mm extra on all sides clear of the tank, so a tank 800 mm deep has a 1000 mm slab in that dimension.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

2t of water over 1.9m², about 1KPa load.

Slab sounds about right with F62 mesh on 30mm chairs.

PFA Property Expo is designed in a way that visitors can gather maximum real estate knowledge with added benefits. Different speakers will be presenting on different topics as where to buy, when to buy in this market...