Water stain come up after floor sanding and polishing

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Otie, 15th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

IMG_4484.JPG IMG_4483.JPG Has anybody had water staining come up when they have had their hardwood floors sanded and polished?
    Ours are 3 days in to the process, and a black line has appeared, the floor sanding guy said that it's water staining and it's there to stay. I checked our old photos and the same area of floor did have a faint black line pre sanding which I hadn't noticed at the time.
    I just want to check if it is a normal expectation that it will stay or should it get sanded out?
    I'm assuming it is not possible to get out with the regular floor sand/polish process which I'm fine with though thought I should check incase it's not generally an acceptable result.

Also in another room which was a bungalow which we have added under the roofline and incorporated into the house the floors are Baltic pine, for some reason there is a band that looks a shade lighter than the remainder of the room- is this also normal expected results?
    We have just had a natural stain applied and I don't think they have applied the gloss coats yet. We are only 2 days into the 5 day job.
    Here's photos:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

1. Pine is sunbleached. Floor finisher should be asked to apply stain to darken the entire floor. Probably due to a rug being laid over the darker areas.
    2. Watermark - either live with it or keep sanding until it fades. This will dramatically reduce the life of your flooring.

paulF and Elives like this.
  3. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Thanks. I will leave the water stain and will go a darker stain over the pine if its not too late.

4. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

@Scott No Mates hopefully you know a bit more about this process-
    I have asked for high gloss- as glassy as possible.
    The floor sanding guy has now finished, only putting the final coat on as a high gloss. He said he put three coats in total but only the the third one is the gloss. From what I've read online it looks like they usually do each coat in a gloss. The floors still like pretty dull to me. Are my expectations way off?

Attached Files:

5. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

6. Scott No Mates

AFAIK it doesn't matter as you have to sand between coats which scuffs the surface and makes a key.

Personally I prefer tung oil which is easier to maintain.

7. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

The floor looks great.
    First coat is a sealer - looks really nice v by itself.
    Second coat is usually gloss regardless of finish because it's tougher and cheaper. Also clearer.
    Third coat - which is really 2nd coat - may not be enough on a rough old floor.
    I'll be getting another coat done on mine later. Gloss also shows up more defects.
    It all settles down after a few months.

Dean Collins likes this.
  8. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

A6F7D457-637F-468E-8AC1-612931B8B669.jpg 0FD84902-C998-4C9C-9C0A-9CD15E581EAA.jpg 0FCDEDBD-B6D5-46A1-9262-683A44B094F8.jpg Saw it in real life for first time today, really happy with it. The pictures the floor guy sent me were really hard to see the finish. Makes the biggest difference having the floors done the house is finally starting to nearly look finished!

9. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

The floors look amazing!

WattleIdo likes this.
  10. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Best $1800 we spent since renovating and its made the biggest impact. We had planned to DIY it so glad we just paid to have it done. Don't think it would have come up near as good had we done it and I think the time we would have lost from our day jobs would have cancelled out any savings by DIY ing it.

WattleIdo likes this.
  11. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Looks brilliant! I did the same a few months back and it cost me around 2700 as i chose to use waterbased which is a bit more expensive than oil based finish (2400 for oil based option).

My floors where in serious bad condition with stain pealing off and also heaps of gouges since the previous owner tried to diy it himself and botched the job badly!

The flooring guy had to start from 40 grit and still couldn't manage to remove the watermarks in some rooms. I don't mind them to be honest as i think they give the place some character.

wylie, WattleIdo, Otie and 1 other person like this.
  12. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

nice job, where is it and whats the name of the contractor? might be some other people on the list interested in using this guy.

13. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

His name was Kevin I think he services all of Melbourne. Found him on service seeking-TFM Renovation 0488 671 355. He also happened to be the cheapest one with good reviews.

14. Scott No Mates

He couldn't get a gig with the UN so he thought he would try his hand at floor polishing. (I thought our Kevin was from Qld :confused:)

Joynz likes this.
  15. Mr. Miyagi

Mr. Miyagi Active Member

It never ceases to amaze me what a coat of paint, pulling up carpet and polishing the floors does to totally transform a room!

How many sqm was it for $1800? That sounds like a very good price.

16. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

70sqm.
    That included supplying and installing 4x 1200mm lengths of new Tassie Oak where we had moved walls etc and had missing boards.
    It was $1.50 per m2 cheaper if you didn't want the high gloss.

17. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

That's the Korean guy. Found him a bit ex though Koreans take pride in their work

18. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Yes he was the korean guy- the was happy to negotiate anyway so I found him pretty reasonable