Water proofing failed under warranty period

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Coconutwheels, 29th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Coconutwheels

Coconutwheels Well-Known Member

G'day All, I've got a granny flat that is about 5 1/2 years old, the agent noticed a cracked tile and some grout missing at the last routine inspection. I went to check it out and repair it, and thought I'd better check for water leak, which there was!

It's within the builders warranty so I've been in contact with the builder, he's been stringing me along saying he's coming to check it out since end of Nov. Finally he had another mob that do these repairs attend about a week ago.

Now he's come back saying that the cracked tile and missing grout is neglected maintence that has caused the leak, allowing water to "come over the water-stops". So he wants to only pay for applying new membrane, not the demo and retiling etc.

I've organised a waterproofer to come and look tomorrow, and another quote for the repair later this week.

I need to have it fixed ASAP as the tenant just moved out last week, I'm thinking to just have it done ASAP and somehow chase the builder up for reimbursement, but not sure how that would go, perhaps through CTTT?

Cheers,
    Ben

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If you touch it, you void the warranty.

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You either let the builder handle it, or go it alone and pay for it yourself.
    Marg

Coconutwheels likes this.
  4. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

What's the cost? If you organise and pay for it yourself you are likely to get a better job than you would with a disinterested builder going back there. Deductible cost, too.

KayTea likes this.
  5. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

IN all honesty I’d fork out myself for it if you can’t get compensated as the builder couldn’t do it right the first time so I would have no confidence in him the second time. Lodge an application with vcat or your states equivalent and at the hearing take some quotes and an inspection report (get a vcat approved building inspection done on the shower) and request for the cost of the repairs to be compensated as you don’t trust the builders competence since he was unable to do it properly first time round. Don’t repair it until you have a decision from VCAT though

Coconutwheels likes this.
  6. Coconutwheels

Thanks for all the input, as much as it pains me, the builders not going to handle this, or if he does it'll drag out for months and then I'll be trying to claim loss of rent, which may or may not come about.

This may be the best option really. I've got a mate who's a waterproofer that came around today to look at it for me, defiantly membrane failed.

Alternatively I might just do it myself, with the waterproofing under supervision.

Perthguy likes this.
  7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

If membrane is damaged all tiles must come off. After 5 yrs tiler blames builder and so on

Tom Rivera likes this.
  8. Coconutwheels

Yes, not a fun job!

Builders trying to blame me, I'm just going to do it myself and move on, I'll try and get him to pay me for the waterproofing though.

9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Probably the best idea.

Get full documentation from qualified tradies of building faults uncovered then lodge a claim on the builder. Worth a try and won’t cost you anything extra.
    Marg

10. Coconutwheels

Ok thanks, that's a good point, worth a shot!

Tom Rivera likes this.