Water meter leak

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Cimbom, 22nd Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

We have a leak issue with our water meter - it has been leaking water down the footpath and nature strip. The utility company came to look at it and said the issue is on our side and we need to call a plumber. Any ideas of what kind of issue this might be and is it likely to be expensive? Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A leak, your responsibility to fix asap. You are paying for the water.

Sounds like a plumber's call out fee and a bit for material.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  3. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Yes, I will. Just wasn't sure about cost as I haven't dealt with any kind of plumbing issues before

4. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

You should be able to get a special dispensation from council re the water usage if it has been going on unnoticed for a while and you get a really large bill.

5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

In QLD,the way it works any problems on the footpath side is the utility companies problem,anything on the property side of the metre is your problem..
    This will be a problem with the start of the connection from the metre,sometimes they just blow out slow over time..
    Cost wise ,call-out fee-material wise -labour-and depending on the " LIC "Plumber would be very low as apposed to the water costs,if it's on the footpath and flowing you would want to fix this asap..imho..

6. Chivaun.Shortis

Chivaun.Shortis Well-Known Member

Just depends on where the leak is. If its in the meter box itself only minimal cost but if its a broken pipe underground it could be a little costly depending on where it is located and type of pipe.

7. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

The plumber just came and said he thinks it could be up to $2000 as they will need to hire an excavator. The water meter is on the other side of a retaining wall. The wall is a bit high up so it depends on how far down the pipes are. Will have to wait until next week for them to do it. He will email a proper quote soon

Chivaun.Shortis likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

OK the leak sounds like it's not exposed but buried. You might be better off contacting a company who does leak detection (even pin point it under concrete), they will then point you in the direction of a plumber.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  9. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

We had a broken pipe between us and the mains, I heard the water leaking so got a plumber out quickly, they did a quick work around because unfortunately it was a broken underground pipe. We still had a huge water bill but we did apply and got most of it waived by icon. We did need a statement from the plumber to say we acted quickly so don't wait too long. The permanent fix was in the $2k ballpark but it was deep underground and our house is quite set back on a big block.

If you can't do a quick permanent fix eg you need a digger like we did, ask the plumber if there is a temporary work around. We actually had a industrial hose running to the house for a couple of weeks and it did the job. To get the refund from icon you need to show that you stopped the water as soon as you could.

Hope it get sorted OK!

Kassy

Marg4000 likes this.
  10. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I did ask him about a temporary fix and he said to just turn off the water when we're not using it. Icon said that we need to submit the plumbing receipt and they will assess the situation and compare it to last years usage.

I got the quote and I'm a bit annoyed. He said about 2k but it's for $2950 which is really 3k. I'm not sure if that's reasonable or if they are inflating the price because it's a more urgent job? Should I get another quote or that about what we should expect to pay?

Tom Rivera likes this.
  11. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Just got a second quote for $1500! Is there any issue with accepting a quote for a bigger job like this without a formal quote? He sent it by text message and verbally to my husband and said it includes excavation. He is well reviewed online

12. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

You could ask for a written quote as per the text and just ask them to bring it when they start...

Marg4000 likes this.
  13. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

The plumber that gave the lower quote ended up not being available for two weeks so I got a third quote and this one happens to have their own excavator. They quoted $700 (got in writing) and will be coming on Wednesday :)

Marg4000 likes this.
  14. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Excellent result! :)