Water leaking issue

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by FireDragon, 18th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. FireDragon

FireDragon Well-Known Member

I have an investment property and water started to leak from the ceiling of my bathroom since Aug 2017. The strata plumber checked my unit (level 15) and also the units above my one (level 16 and 17). The strata plumber did many testings and repairs (e.g. pressure test the pipes, water proof one of the units on level 16, checked the pipes in two units on level 16 and fixed the water leaking from the fire service equipment on level 17).

Unfortunately the water leaking issue in my bathroom still occurs and I asked the strata manager to try another plumber or consultant but the owners corporation doesn't want to do it. I discussed with my property manager and he said that even if we report to fair trading they can't enforce the strata to try another plumber. Is this correct? Is there anything else I can do about it?

Thanks in advance.

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Put the problem in writing to the body corporate and demand action.
    Marg

3. FireDragon

FireDragon Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. We did talk to the chairman of the executive committee of the body corporate, but the response is that we need to wait for the strata plumber. I can arrange a formal letter to send to the body corporate, but in case we have the same response, can fair trading do something about it?

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If you send a formal letter, it will have to be tabled at the next body corporate meeting. This means it has to be entered into the minutes. Meetings should then deal with issues arising from correspondence.

If possible, attend the meeting and demand action. Even if nothing eventuates, you have evidence that the problem was reported correctly.

At the moment, all you have is “he said”. Talking is not hard evidence. His recollection may be entirely different.

It is not up to any member of the committee to make decisions on their own.

Go through the correct channels and put EVERYTHING in writing. Then, if the problem escalated, you can take things further.

By all means phone Fair Trading for advice. They can be very helpful.
    Marg

bob shovel likes this.
  5. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Join the strata committee then you will know what is actually going on.