Water leak from into garage from balcony via... a hole!

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Ben43, 10th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ben43

Ben43 Well-Known Member

I have a water leak into the garage at a residential tenancy.

My "expert" deduction is a contractor drilled a dirty great hole through the slab and didn't seal it. I can even see the fluro lights in the garage.... thank you to the builder, subcontractor, certifier, regulator, my own building inspector & everybody else along the way who led to this avoidable nonsense.

I have four questions (other than WTF):

1) Are those white rigid hoses going into the pipe the water discharge hoses from the 2x air con head units? (that's my guess) Those white pipes aren't anything electrical, no?

2) How do I seal this? My plan is to use a truckload of silicon, squirt it in there and also build a little silicon mound up around the pipe. Is that a good idea or horrible?

3) If this is something I can't fix, what kind of tradesmen can? The agent sent me notes from the plumber whose conclusion was "This will require a new wet-sealer to ensure all penetrations and expansion joints are sealed, this is a large job and we require someone with previous experience in this type of scenario." - really???

4) This is a strata title unit complex - so is this a body corporate responsibility to pay for repairs? The leak is from my balcony into my garage, but I'm not sure who is responsible. Another leak also comes from the exact same kind of hole in unit next to mine, whose balcony is over the back of my garage. Surely it's a body corporate responsibility?

[​IMG]

upload_2021-12-10_0-27-6.png

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10th Dec, 2021
  2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

So is it dripping into your car spot, or just annoying you ?

1, looks like it
    2, silicone around the pipe to tiles, expanda foam in pipe
    3, possible if the hole was drilled after tiling (leave that, it's a BC issue)
    4, it's a simple fix you can do, but raise it with the BC before doing anything, it may be every lot in the complex, so they should chase the builder to rectify.

Ben43 likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The building fire protection has been compromised by the slab drilling. Rule #1 is fire protection must be redone after drilling a aslab and acrpark is a fire hazard due to cars and flammable fuels and produced huge amounts of toxic smoke which could now get upstairs through that small opening. Then the dumbo tradie who installed the AC has run the drain to thin air and not to a drain... usually balconys have a drain and that is used. Why is that split compressor set inside and not outside ?? . If you block the drains the AC will overflow inside the dwelling at the head unit when the drill tube fills with condensation run off. Should be raised with strata as a defect affecting your entitlement and carspace.

wylie, Westminster and Ben43 like this.
  4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

In the last pic the hole & unit appear to be located outside of the unit open atmosphere (even though in a corner close to the window)

Joynz likes this.
  5. Ben43

Ben43 Well-Known Member

Yep it's outside on the balcony (close to the window). The body corporate is going to raise with the builder, so I won't do anything yet. My cunning plan is an upside down ice cream container for now.

Stoffo likes this.
  6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

There might be some sort of flashing that can be used - as used for roof penetrations. Best to get a professional in though.

wylie likes this.
  7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Hang a potted plant. Grow some weeeeed. Install lights and watch them act

8. qak

qak Well-Known Member

So the water is just getting through the hole, it's not coming out of those 2 tubes?

9. Ben43

Ben43 Well-Known Member

Yep just lots of rain water going down the gap.