Water from upstairs flooded ruined carpet how do I prevent further damage

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by justine77, 18th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

upstairs left a tap on flooded and leaked to my apartment
    What can be done to prevent further damage
    Eg do they need more sealing upstairs so water can’t leak

And where do I call to find professionally to dry my carpets do I don’t have to change carpet
    Is there a limit of first 3 days to dry Carpet
    The Carpet is insured under the owners Building insurance isn’t it as fixed flooring

Thanks

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you google "carpet drying Sydney" you'll find someone to dry it. I can't answer the insurance question though.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Call you insurer, they will arrange everything.

4. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Here in Brisbane, companies like MegaSealed do this all the time. Not cheap but you can sleep soundly at night. Body Corporate Insurance should cover this.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  5. justine77

It’s My daughters place and she’s renting from relative that own the upstairs and downstairs

Insurance still didn’t come
    I hope tomoro they do come
    For her it’s just a thirds of s small room and it’s nice carpet and I want it fixed as changing all Capet would be very stressful for her and sometimes insurers only change that room which would mismatch and be not as nice as all rooms with same carpet
    It was hard to get idea over phone of prices
    500-3000 kist For the small bit 1 metre by 3 or so that’s wet in her apartment part of a bedroom etres

But upstairs apartment probably entire 3 rooms upstairs all carpet ruined so hopefully insurance will come tomoro and get it done fast for both apartments . Might be expensive otherwise to call out someone privately just to do hers even if it’s a small amount only

6. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Any insurer will want to see the insured party has taken steps to minimize the resultant damage and usually have spending limits pre approved for things like carpet dryers and dehumidifiers in the policy, such that the policy holder is obligated to get these things done otherwise the insurer can turn around and say you didn't try and minimize the damage so your claim is now void etc. With that said, it's the Lessor/Agent's problem to deal with and fix, not yours as it's not your daughters property albeit a relative, not your money you should be spending - they need too.. There's no fault other than human error from leaving the tap on. Nothing needs resealing, only certain parts of modern bathrooms are waterproofed, but flooding from human error is not something bathroom waterproofing is design to prevent. Carpet is a fixture I believe, so as a tenant even if you had contents insurance it's not something that would be covered nor something you'd be expected to fix - it's the Lessor's problem. If there is reduced amenity you could thinking about asking for abated rent until the amenity is returned. Relations/family or not, this sounds like a commercial arrangement and should be treated as such.

wylie likes this.
  7. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

It's your apartment?
    It's your daughter's place and she's a tenant renting it.

If you give the correct info to start with, you have a better chance of getting the right help.

Tom Rivera and hobo like this.
  8. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Ok, now that we find out it is not YOUR apartment, as the father of the Tenant, I wont do anything but seeking compensation from the Owners. After that it's up to your daughter to decide if she wants to continue to live there with constant fear that the leak will come back. And it's upto the Owners to decide how and when they want to fix this

9. justine77

2 issues
    1 what does relative owner need to do to seal upstairs so leaks can’t hsppen easily
    floor upstairs and downstairs is concrete
    Brick building

2 insurance finally came after 2 full days saying carpets already mouldy can’t b saved
    I asked her to get a piece of it cut to carry around to try to match with similar

Any other suggestions please

Thank u for the different info provided . It’s been very helpful .

10. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

Turn the tap off

bmc and Jasmine like this.
  11. Jasmine

Jasmine Well-Known Member

No. None. You have no issues since you have no ownership of the property.

Nothing. The person upstairs left the tap open. If the upstairs floor was really concrete, then any leaking should be minimal. What the owner does upstairs is of no concern to you. Ask the body corp if you feel so strongly.

Why? You, or your "daughter" do not own the property, nor is the insurance in your name. It is up to the owner to decide on a (most likely cheaper) carpet or other floor covering.

12. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Your expecting a bit much maybe. :)

hobo and Propertunity like this.
  13. justine77

Is it really ok for insurance to come after a couple of days when Carpet is ruined rather than immediately

A relative owns it so if there is anything that needs to be done to prevent future leaks , if any damage to concrete floor structure was done then they need to do this . Floor upstairs and downstairs is concrete so unsure if any damage could be done to concrete

14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

My understanding is that insurers expect you to do anything required to minimise the damage. If the carpet could have been dried as soon as the damage occurred, those two days (?) of delay may have saved the carpet.

Of course, that means spending money to get a dryer in, so I understand that means risking that it is money wasted. As a landlord, I'd be annoyed if my tenant didn't let me know immediately so I could organise a carpet dryer to be started immediately.

Did your daughter let the owner know? Did they do anything at that time?

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  15. dabbler

Insurers wont be able too work out who owns...who or if there was a legit tenant...etc etc

These threads may as well start off with....

Riddle me this Batman.......

16. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Ignoring the question of who owns this property, surely we're past querying Justine on the fine details of her posts by now. We'll never get anywhere trying to get a straight story out of each topic haha.

- Wet carpet is considered toxic after three days.
    - Carpet is generally considered "contents" on a building policy, similar to window coverings. I think it's idiotic, but it is what it is.

I would think there's an insurance claim here, regardless of whether you get away from dryers or whether the carpet needs replacing? Do you also have paint and/or lining damage from the water coming through the ceiling?

Michael Mitchell and KayTea like this.
  17. dabbler

I think there is water all over the bathroom too, on the tiles and cement walls, should I force owner to pay for mop and supply servant for 1 year cleaning free ?

Can you help and tell me who owner plz ?

Tom Rivera likes this.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice