Water features

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by RumpledElf, 13th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RumpledElf

RumpledElf Well-Known Member

To amuse myself while waiting for 2 solicitors and a bank to somehow agree on a settlement date I thought I'd make a new thread.

So I am buying this block of land that is very sloped. Since its a PPoR and the plans are to build something pretty non-standard on there anyway, I'm going to find some way of making a water feature that'll run down the steepest part. There's probably a natural courseway under all the weeds I'm going to have to avoid building anything on top of anyway so might as well do something with it. And it'll give me an excuse to make a bridge for the kids to fall off. No temples though.

Thing is, every time I see something like this it either ends up looking really man-made, like with concrete square bits and straight lines (think hotel courtyards), or its obviously concrete with rocks stuck in it, or its those little fibreglass pools which are sort of ok I guess but you can still tell they're little fibreglass pools. I was thinking maybe getting some large ceramic pots and somehow kind of embedding them into the hill. Or something. I'm going to do a lot of paths with recycled bricks so could possibly do something with bricks and line it with something water resistant, but that sounds like it would need actual proper foundations or it would end up cracking.

Bearing in mind that this is going to be my retirement home and I'm aiming for eccentric and rustic. I would not be averse to doing something with old bathtubs or wine barrels as long as it doesn't look stupid. There'd easily be a 10-20m stretch on this block I could make a water feature out of.

Anyone got any helpful tips? And yes, I did just come here from the temple thread >.>

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Pintrest! (got in before Westminster! :p)

Source some local bush rock and ceramic pots. People should have it for you to takeaway free.
    Have a rock waterfall type thing going down the hill with pots and water lilies in there. Use the natural area.... Once it's cleared of course

RumpledElf likes this.
  3. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

Could you line it with moist clay sheets the same way damns are built?

4. magpieseason

magpieseason Well-Known Member

Given a choice of a temple or a waterfall for my own place , the temple would win.
    Pretty sure a waterfall will be black, stagnant and full of mozzies in a couple of years.
    If you are keen though gumtree always has pumps, ponds, liners etc going cheap.

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

This was originally designed as a water feature, but now unused. The water runs down the left of the trail.

The Y-man

Attached Files:

Last edited: 13th Mar, 2016
  6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

You'll need to check out :
    Blue Mountains Wildplant Rescue Service - Katoomba Native Plant Nursery
    If you weren't already aware of them. Not for profit (I believe) native nursery in Katoomba.
    They know their stuff! They source the seedlings locally before areas are cleared etc and then do the cuttings and nursing business :)

I used to buy heaps for work and often let work purchase an extra 20 plants that I'd leave there ;)

RumpledElf likes this.
  7. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

bob shovel likes this.
  8. RumpledElf

RumpledElf Well-Known Member

I wonder how much of this 'local rock' will get turned up in the inevitable excavations in a couple months ...

9. Rockstar

Rockstar Well-Known Member

Hi Elf, didn't you once live in the desert? Try some replica rock. It's how I became a rockstar.;) This is all concrete and mortar over a vinyl/rubber liner.

DCP00208.JPG

RedMarty and The Y-man like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia