Water connection to the boundary - Help Needed

Discussion in 'Development' started by albanga, 27th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Hi Team,

Needing some assistance with a fresh issue I have ran into.
    I'm currently building my OO to the rear of an existing house that I sold after subdividing the block.
    I am building through a registered builder and am close to completion of frame.

My site manager however has just advised me they require water and currently their is none connected to the property. I have been advised and shown in the contract that it is my responsibility to have the service connected to the boundary and their responsibility within the boundary.

They had their plumber provide me a quote which came back at 4k!! I was not at all prepared for this and they suggested I could see about doing it myself. The cost they said is because the water main is on the other side of the road and they would need to bore under the road?

I know nothing about plumbing but just seemed excessive. I got an entire electrical pit done from the other side of the road for under 3k. I also don't understand why if water is connected to the front house that we couldn't just leverage of this?

I am building in Melbourne and the supplier is City West Water. I am going to call them myself tomorrow to have a discussion but thought I would get some feedback from my trusted PC friends before doing so.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Why are they doing an under road bore rather than pay a road opening fee and cut the road? (local rules may apply)

Contact another plumber for a quote.

Tufan Chakir and albanga like this.
  3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Likely can't piggy back as the front house service is a 25mm and for a double banga council would want a 32mm+.

If you can find a dodgey plumber you may tee off the front and run a private meter. Council may not come to the party with seperate rates though

albanga likes this.
  4. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

i don't understand why the feed can't be branched off just before the property at the front the pipe size should allow for it.

5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

6. albanga

Your all legends, thanks for the super quick replies!
    I forgot to mention I already have a PIC number. When I paid for this I thought my water troubles were complete!

@Scott No Mates are you saying cutting the road is cheaper than going under it? Would never have thought that but I'll definitely mention it.

Waiting to hear back from a mate to Check it out for a fresh quote, he is a bit slow though.

You guys have any recommendations in Melbourne?

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if it was cheaper by the time you add on traffic management costs and closing part of the road off...

8. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

• Boring will be cheaper.
    • In the long run you will definitely need a separate water meter. Think of it as bringing an expense forward.
    • 4K is not too expensive. I had one done for 3K about 3 years back in western suburbs, the plumber was from Geelong and he only did mains connection.

Tufan Chakir and bob shovel like this.
  9. albanga

Thanks Team!
    My builder did say that they obviously put their margin in the quote so allowing 20% it might be more around $3,300.

Sounds like something I just need to deal with ad deal with correctly from the outset.

I'll keep you all updated

Scott No Mates likes this.
  10. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Surprised it wasn't done as part of the subdivision. Providing supply is usually a requirement

Shared domestic supply was ok in the old days, no longer through

11. Scott No Mates

Always check the alternatives, skinning a cat from the inside may be difficult but can be just as effective.

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  12. jim1964

jim1964 1941

I thought this as well.In SA it would be a requirement, and if the supply pipe needed to be larger to accommodate more water, the surveyor/water provider would have/should have advised you of this.

13. Scott No Mates

Must be dealing with a shonky developer who 'missed'that requirement. Oh that's right, the developer IS @albanga - no excuse then.

14. Eleven

Eleven Well-Known Member

Developer pays for water service and tapping. 4k is reasonable considering you are boring under the road. CWW would be marginally cheaper, and less hassle. Yes, it's 4k and expensive, but cheap for.boring under the road. But you have no choice. It's a necessity.