Watching the Druie Drop in Slow Motion

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by sash, 17th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

@Frazz, I don't appreciate this. You taking over my job that I am only good at. I thought I was the one and only "stat man" on the forum :p

bob shovel likes this.
  2. Frazz

Frazz Well-Known Member

@RetireRich101 HAHA, we might have to carve up the sub forums and divide and conquer :p

RetireRich101 likes this.
  3. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

whatever you say... I still happy to take you as my Apprentice:D

Frazz likes this.
  4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

i don't know of anyone actively building dual occs in 2770. Anyone buying a corner for that reason is either unaware of the costs or land banking for the future, which in this market is crazy.

5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Agree....time will reveal all........

6. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Sydney maybe overpriced and ridiculously expensive...but I cannot see it drop significantly unless the jobs scene deteriorates amd/or its competitors take jobs that would have otherwise gone to Sydney.

7. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

sash im thinking you should sell your shellharbour property(s)..if western sydney will drop as you think, then the rest of sydney wont be immune (or vice versa), and nor will illawarra etc..sorry to state the obvious...

Although thinking logically, I assume you are already doing so?

just looking out for you mate

RetireRich101 likes this.
  8. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

what do you know about sydney other than that?

9. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

macro-economically- a lot. ..especially jobs and the corporate sector driving the economy ( which I believe is a huge demand driver for sydney).

10. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Nope I am not....bought for 242k...valued at 550k..even with a 25% haircut it would be worth 410k odd!

So its all apples......with all the baby boomers heading down there...it might not be a bad spot.

11. hash_investor

I need your suggestion guys,

I have an IP in the druitt, a 2 bed unit bought before the boom. It is very well positioned and in one of the good blocks with very good equity built into it now. I am thinking of selling it and buying a house interstate. What do you guys think? I don't want to keep it anymore as CG is going to be minimal for the next few years it at all.

12. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

I'd be looking at it seriously

After all the changes in serviceability , you need to make sure of what your borrowing capacity will be .

Cliff

13. hash_investor

do you mean is regards to buying multiple properties interstate?

I think even if I buy just one IP interstate it will give me better growth than a unit in the druitt.

14. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I think you answered your own question when you said "I don't want to keep it", but I would see if you are able to do a security swap rather than payout the loan

bob shovel likes this.
  15. hash_investor

How does that work?

16. ORAC

ORAC Well-Known Member

For the 2770 suburbs, even I am amazed how much they have appreciated recently. I grew up there and my mother still lives there, my dad purchased there in 1969 for about $9000.00. Now the block sizes are really big like 600 sqm plus, and the house sizes are really small like 100 - 120 sqm. Whilst the opportunity for granny flats are obvious, there's quite a few there already getting good rent. The instrinsic value is the land. When you compare say the neighbouring Ropes Crossing with its 200 sqm - 400 sqm land size, the opportunity for 2770 is really knocking down all those housing commission houses and starting again to redevelop those suburbs with modern, dual occ, or integrated granny flat houses. Whilst price drop could be possible, one really needs to consider the comparables on the underlying land value.

My only regret is not buying in when they were worth like $80k or so, but others like Nathan Birch did see this opportunity - the rest is history with those generic renovations. When I visit my mother, I see them all the time. In fact, I see 2770 as a barometer for the rest of Sydney as it traditionally has been the cheapest house prices there, and therefore reflects the wider Sydney situation.

datto, Gwynneth and Michael Barnes like this.
  17. See Change

When you sell the current property , rather than paying down the loan , you put the funds into a deposit account with the bank where it becomes the new security for the loan .

When you have your new property , you draw down the funds and buy the new property which then becomes the new security .

We did this when we sold units in Sydney . While we paid down some debt , we kept two loans in place and then bought properties in Brisbane and Adelaide .

Advantage in our situation is that if we'd paid down the loans on the original properties and applied for new loans on the new purchases , under the new guidelines we wouldn't have been able to borrow the money .

Changing security isn't a new loan so that made it possible .

Cliff

18. hash_investor

does that save you from the CGT?

19. See Change

No . That's coming up in the next month or so . We made a capital gain .

The capital gain was used to pay of debt on our weekender , which was non deductible .

Cliff

20. hash_investor

@sash ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.