Wastefulness

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by scientist, 22nd Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

I feel the framework we have is quite wasteful. I can think of a few examples:

Tenant complains about toilet blockage - there's been so many times the plumber comes out and just uses a plunger and that's all it took to unblock the drain. Why can't the tenant try that first?

My worst prop manager I've ever had once passed on a request for tenant to change a light bulb. I changed PMs after that incident. Correct me if i'm out of line here but I hope my PM would exercise some decision making and shield me from these sorts of requests.

And don't get me started about the yearly $99 smoke alarms service. Why does it cost $99 for a technician to come and spray some smoke and replace a 9V battery (if they even!). I have properties that are dual or tri-occ and the largest discount I've been offered was $10 off each, even though they're doing 3 dwellings in the one visit.

These 'professional services' really add up - if you listen to every professional and engage them on the schedule they recommend, you won't make money as a landlord. E.g. annual termite check, aircon servicing (wtf is this even, why can't the tenant just buy a can of aircon cleaner and spray it themselves, and give the filters a vacuum once a year instead of raising it with the agent). Again, a good PM in my opinion is one who would direct the tenant to sort these things out themselves where possible. E.g. a small patch of mould on the ceiling? ffs tell the tenant to rub some vinegar on it, and use the extraction fan when showering!

A few other stories: I had to call an electrician out to flick the circuit breaker back on, because the tenant is stupid (and told the PM he tried doing this when he obviously didn't or didn't do it correctly). I had to call a stove technician out to place the burner head back on properly because the tenant couldn't figure out why his cooktop wasn't working. I wasted money calling an antenna technician out only to find out tenant plugged his TV into wrong outlet. In all these cases, PM is more of a messenger service rather than a management service - but I guess it's too much to expect a PM (who lives down the road - all my PMs are local) to go down there and have a look and could've saved me a few hundo.

I just wish tenants can look after small things themselves more often and in return I'm happy to charge them below market. But it's sort of a prisoner's dilemma situation - tenants will be lazy and ask for everything they can get, and in return we need to cover our costs in full, resulting in lots of waste. I also wish tenants were smarter. Some people really have no skills other than their 9-5. And lastly I wish the standard of PMs were a bit higher - if they could just investigate a little more before passing on every request, that would be great.

Last edited: 22nd Aug, 2021
    datto and Antoni0 like this.
  2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

You missed the dishwasher isn't working properly, the dishes aren't clean, we need a new one.........(all because they can't/won't clean the filter in it :confused:).

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  3. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I would bet your previous PM was overcome with grief when you changed PM's ... :rolleyes:

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I had a tenant's daughter call out an electrician when the oven wouldn't work. The oven had a flap which had to be opened for it to operate. I made the agent charge this to the tenant and they paid

Stoffo, datto, Antoni0 and 2 others like this.
  5. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

All part of running the business renting a house.
    Just like any other business, most days it's smooth sailing, but sometimes you have to have a bit more.

You don't like the "framework"?
    Do it yourself. Then when things are coming from the tenants, you can decide if you're coming and fixing it or telling them to do it.
    You then can also deal with their breach notices, xCAT hearings, paying compensation and dealing with re-letting.

Easy.

DISCOURSE: I'm self managing my IP.

Beano, spoon and Michael Mitchell like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I think I'll insure one property in 5, after all I'm not claiming on any of them and it'll save me in excess of $20k/yr :rolleyes:

Beano and boganfromlogan like this.
  7. scientist

I got an apology for the cooktop head incident... next time i'll ask for money lol

8. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Just for comparison.....

I manage own properties. My best tenant was finding it tricky to rent. Don't know why.

They pay weekly, but have deposited 4 weeks extra. They are never late.

They fix minor things and occasionally ask for something.

Big jobs They assist with.

They communicate in friendly way. Every time we visit They show us around .... defects and things that they are proud of.

Never want them to leave. Respect them hugely.

craigc, Stoffo, Terry_w and 1 other person like this.
  9. scientist

Sounds like a fantastic tenant

I have good tenants sometimes. I try to keep them happy.

Stoffo likes this.
  10. boganfromlogan

Yes all praise to them.

I guess my view is the middle man model is ineffective...do they really add value?

11. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

Self repairs from tenants are usually a nightmare, sometimes the issue doesn't arise until the next tenant moves in. I had a tenant remove 2 toilet cisterns to repaint them and broke the internals on both and didn't put some seals back in, then broke the isolation taps. I had tested the toilets, and they both flushed at the time but didn't realise that they never refilled as they had jammed the taps shut, and I'm partially deaf. The second one was a brand-new fan switch that the tenant had broken the knob shaft off on, and then they just removed the switch and disconnected the wiring inside the wall, which not only illegal to do but very dangerous. I've seen numerous things like this over the years and the PMs just put their hands up and act dumb.

12. boganfromlogan

Well that is just Ur opinion.

I think u have to agree that all electrical and plumbing goes to professionals.

The key thing here is the property manager throwing hands up. Isn't this the point?

So I never avoid or blame when issues crop up. We work together. I would say Ur property manager is not adding value but apportioning blame.

13. Antoni0

That's one of the issues here, reform is made from professional advice coming from professional bodies and not Joe Blow off the street that has 2 rentals.

14. boganfromlogan

Try treating tenants as human beings not an item on a spreadsheet.

15. Antoni0

In a lot of cases when the issues are small, it's easier to just fix things out of your own pocket, move on and place the house back on the market but after a while it all adds up.

Some tenants are smart and know how to work the system, I've been involved with rentals for over 40 years and see the same thing over and over again, I used to self-manage also. The most common one I see is bogging up plaster board walls, it all looks good at the time of the exit report, until everything properly dries and shrinks back because the tenants have left everything to the last minute and haven't waited for proper drying times.

16. Antoni0

Are you making a false accusation that I'm not treating tenants as human beings?

craigc and Michael Mitchell like this.
  17. boganfromlogan

I think the post above really indicates a lack of understanding how Joe Blow fits into the picture. Joe Blow is often the person who has heart soul and skin in the 'game' .... those that are claiming a % of the rent when they don't care, have no skin in game, are unqualified or looking to reap more commissions via sales, are a weakness in the system.

Joe Blow treats tenants as human beings. It is worth a try. It is better than keeping buried in spreadsheets ( my favourite criticism ) and obsessing about costs.

This is all opinion. I know it is different from @Antoni0, but there u have it!

18. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Do you leave you a copy of the utility/operating operating manuals?
    Ive only ever had two landlords bother to do this but it allowed me to trouble shoot, and specify exactly what model something is should someone have to be sent out.

I even had one PM provide a walk through showing me how the various appliances worked etc when I first picked up the keys. I wouldnt suggest that level of service is the norm however.

As a tenant I look after the small things myself, or at least wait until there are enough of them to make it worth mentioning.

Im not sure its pure laziness, You would be surprised how many people dont even know where the circuit boards are, much less what to do about them.
    Heck, its normal these days that people dont know how to jumpstart a car or change a tyre, but thats the world we live in now.

Last edited: 22nd Aug, 2021
  19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Fact of life but it doesn't need a PhD to work out how to light the piliot light, check/reset the fuse box or turn on the exhaust fan.

Michael Mitchell and Stoffo like this.
  20. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Not a Phd, but perhaps better parenting from a young age.
    I've never had an issue, but that doesnt mean many wont. I would wager that a sad number of people wouldnt know what a pilot light even is, or even care.