House & Home Washing Machines

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by neK, 5th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. neK

neK Well-Known Member

My Bosch washing machine just broke down tonight after 2.5-3 years service. Stupid piece of crap. Even my old whirlpool that i gave away lasted longer than that.

I had some clothes in the wash, not much i might add (4 business shirts + pants). It died mid way through a wash, water was still in the drum. Won't even power on anymore. Had to finish washing the clothes by hand. :(

Anyway, looking for some recommendations. I'm really starting to weigh up whether to buy an expensive one or a cheaper one which I can replace again in 3-5 years. Even if you pay good money, they just don't seem to to last, and call out fees are just plain expensive for these damn things.

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

gumtree! i got a simpson 8kg for free (originally wanted $50 but they stuffed me around) cause it could only wash hot, i just put the cold hose on the hot inlet and tell the cyborg to wash in hot! winner! one day i might look at the solenoids. but then again i probably wont.

but for you flash business shirt types check out graysonline and also appliaces online - its pretty much seconds world but they deliver.

Tim86 and Westminster like this.
  3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I have had good experiences with Simpson, Whirlpool and LG washing machines. They all seem to work well and last well.

4. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

My LG front loader has been going for nearly 8 years - best I have ever had :)

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

We got ours from a reconditioned second hand place many years ago, when budgets were tight. It's still going strong. One of the old school solidly built machines.

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'm finding the more recent the appliance the less life it has.

Anything with a circuit board dies quicker than a snail eating a 5 course snail bait dinner.

I'm disappointed a Bosch only lasted 2.5yrs. I would have expected more. Don't be surprised if it does decide to turn on today.

I've been listening to my 8yo F&P washing machine die slowly for the last 6mths but it's still struggling on. It's not the circuit board but a physical problem so it's brain is making it still go.

7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

The commercial ones are the go, if you can find a second hand one. They don't look flash but theyre tough as nails. Doing normal house washing they'll last forever. We had one on a construction site washing all the work clothes, doing 2-3 loads a day of absolutely filthy gear (guys don't pre wash or stain remove work clothes!) It was still going after 3 years till the job finished. we got a residential front loader to help out, it last 3 months

8. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

We've had a Beko front loader for the past 3 and a half years and it's been great. Had a Hoover top loader for the 10 years prior to that, only replaced it as we wanted a front loader so we could stack the drier on top. Gave the Hoover to the in-laws, it's still going.

I've heard with Bosch it depends if you have Chinese or German Bosch (and paid the respective price difference) as to whether it'll be any good or not.

9. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I've had two F&P top loaders. First one lasted ~13 years. Current one is around four years old.

10. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yeah bosch is made in a couple of places, eg with dishwashers turkey, spain and germany. I assume something similar with washing machines.

Im about to buy a washing machine too, lwaning towards miele atm

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've had Asko when the kids were little, washed cloth nappies and everything else for probably 15 years. Switched to another "name" brand and it was nowhere near as good. Gave that to the middle son when he bought his house and bought another Asko. Love Asko.

12. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Simpson 550 for more than 15 years. Top loader. Spin dry needs some attention now - apart from that still going strong.

13. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Dad came and checked out the washing machine for me (he's an electrical engineer), looks like the front circuit board isn't getting any power. I'm weighing up whether I should get it replaced (and risk it frying again as some other component may have caused it to fry) or just buy a cheap $500 washing machine and keep replacing it when required.

They just don't make things to last anymore

14. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I'd go something reconditioned if you're trying to save.

15. sanj

They do, people just dont want to pay the required amount. The old school fridges, washing machines etc that lasted well over 10 years also cost significantly more relative tp income. A lot of that comes down to manufacturing efficiencies of course but so does cost cutting. Think about it, you can now get washing machines for as low as $500 or about 1/3 of the average weekly wage in this country. In that there are margins for 3 companies at the very least, so it would prob be manufactured for a good deal under $200. How can it be expected to last decades?

Eg your mieles, some askos might cost you 2-3k for a washing machine but will likely give you years of service. Thats not to say theyre infallible of course, you just have a higher chance of success. German bosch machines tend to last longer than the ones from i think china too from what ive heard

You are right though that once reliable brands are not as bulletproof as they used to be

Last edited: 5th Sep, 2015
  16. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

There you go nek. Just have to be like sanj and life will roll on like a dream. Silly you.

jim1964 likes this.
  17. sanj

?? Just repeating what a few people in the industry have told me. If the content of my post is incorrect pls let me know as it isnt my area of expertise. Makes sense to me though.

I know i bought a cheapie and it died on me, i was whinging to a friend and he explained to me what i said above.

Kryys likes this.
  18. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Utter crap. Every next generation appliance should be cheaper, lighter, better etc. Anything else is rent seeking.

19. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

My samsungs are 4 years old and still going strong. Apparently they spontaneously burst into flames and burn peoples' houses down, so I guess you take the good with the bad. At least when we burn alive it will be in beautifully clean clothes.

I've actually got to get onto Samsung to send someone out, because they have recalled them.

I just got a bosch front loader for the people downstairs. It's nearly a year old and going strong. My bosch dishwashers are all going strong after years of use too. I just got the cheaper basic bosch appliances but I made sure I checked lots of reviews to make sure that particular model was decent.

I'm currently eagerly awaiting the arrival of a new vacuum cleaner. A Samsung something or other that was rrp $600 but I got for $200 on sale. Reviews seemed pretty positive, which is rare as I found out when looking at reviews of other vacuum cleaners.

Ahhh so domesticated.

20. sanj

And they certainly are cheaper, lighter and better. Basic washing machines decades ago cost more relative to income than some the best ones do today. Thats not opinion, its a fact

Not sure how that is rent seeking.

Ultimately i dont have a dog in this fight, i dont really care all that much. I do believe that us consumers are as much to blame as the manufacturers for why stuff doesnt last as long as it used to generally