Washing Machine for challenged people

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by devank, 22nd Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. devank

devank Well-Known Member

I bought a front loader thinking it would be easier for our parents to use.
    It looks like they are struggling to bend their knees to take their cloths out.
    I searched on the web to see if it is ok to place the washing machine at a higher level. There is a setup available at masters but it lifts up only 38cm. Kind of not much reward for the hassle.
    Has anyone done anything to make the access easier?
    Has anyone got any other ideas?

2. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

It's ok to place the machine higher, but remember that front loaders like to "walk" even the new ones. So whatever you put them on has to be bolted down (or a concrete plinth) :) and strong enough to withstand the vibration from the front loader's spin cycle. Plus it will need a lip on it to prevent the feet slipping off and crashing onto the laundry floor.

Can you use it somewhere else, or sell it and get them a new top loader?

devank likes this.
  3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Can you turn out over so it becomes a top loader? :p

Check the user manual for what they need to be secured. There may be mounts

Set81, Elives and Mumbai like this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd think they have to bend over to get the clothes out of the bottom of a top loader so bending to get clothes out of a front loader wouldn't be much different?

I'd put it up on a plinth (make one if you cannot find one tall enough) and as Phase2 says, make sure it is held in by some sort of surround or lip to save it walking off.

devank likes this.
  5. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I think it is worthwhile lifting the front loader so you can at least get the laundry basket against it and still open the door.

There are storage units (a drawer unit about a foot high, solidly built to support the weight/motion of the washer) that do exactly this, and sometimes are even made to fit the specific model of washing machine, rather than being a universal number. Or you can buy one from Aldi when it comes up next :)

Cheers,
    Inertia

devank likes this.
  6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Friend has a front loader raised on a small unit. Had a problem with it, and repair man would not touch it as it would have had to be lifted off the plinth to get at its innards, and repair man would not lift it on his own.

Therefore, check that the manufacturer will service it under warranty if raised on a base of some sort.

We have a top loader, and it is definitely far easier to get clothes out of than our son's front loader.
    Marg

devank and JacM like this.
  7. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I said:
    Boom!

Washing Machine Base Unit - ALDI Australia

Cheers,
    Inertia

devank likes this.
  8. devank

devank Well-Known Member

I was thinking of moving the machine to the covered deck so that we can find something to place it high. I do have water and waste water connection. Web research says that there will be more trouble like weather, insects and so on.

They feel as they are losing their balance when they have to bend so much. Maybe they are so used to the top loader :)

Ha... nice find! Thanks
    Aldi one is 65(W) x 70(D) x 32(H)cm
    Masters & Goodguys have 60(W)x 60 (D) x 38.5 (H) cm costs $225

9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Its also an item that is unlikely to immediately sell out. If you wait a couple of weeks, you might pick one up at a discount....