Was your risk management sufficient coming into Covid-19 Crisis?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Blueskies, 20th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

How much of peoples views of how bad the crisis is, is coloured by their immediate, personal circumstances?

wilso8948 likes this.
  2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Good question! I think for me at least - "A lot!!"

It doesn't quite feel as bad as
    • both of us still working (from home)
    • No kids to worry about (school etc)
    • Rent mostly coming in (as per above)
    • No one we know has died from covid 19 although a family memebr nearly dies from pneumonia and another form a spinal infection :eek:
    So in a way, the whole thing feels rather surreal.

The Y-man

wylie likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think that is a good call. I think it is probably true enough, especially when being locked down means we only see what we choose to watch or listen to. We are not seeing the real world outside our door, outside what we know of the situation of our families and friends.

4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

If you are losing business, lost your job, had your portfolio hit, tenants arent paying and have no cash, its easy to just see the negative applying to everything.

But your own situation, even of those around you, arent relevant unless they apply to a lot of people.

If you keep your job, have cash etc, then a crash is a good thing for you personally.

5. wylie

I agree with your post but not the last sentence. I don’t see a crash as being good for me - (or anybody really).

kierank likes this.
  6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

No, a crash is not good for the vast majority of the people.

kierank likes this.
  7. Hebro

Hebro Well-Known Member

I remember an economics professor at uni, a fair while ago, talking about the great depression
    if you had a good job you were relatively better off, asset values declining, etc
    purchasing power increasing
    winners and losers

MWI and TAJ like this.
  8. Hebro

Hebro Well-Known Member

and back to the topic
    with the immediate Covid panic, I did not think our risk management was sufficient

but as things have settled down, we are not doing too badly, tenants still paying, going ahead with a couple of builds

accepting that prices may decline say 20% and take 5 years to get back, but interest rates are so low, so who knows?

immigration and population growth forecasts are something to watch, but I think a lot of people still want to live in Australia (again everything is relative)

9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

A crash is good for some if you aren't affected, and can take advantage of it. If you have bucketloads of money, you can buy assets cheaply.
    The uncertainly isn't a good thing though, and we won't know how bad this will be until it's over.

10. wylie

I’ll be really honest and say I wouldn’t buy from someone in trouble. I might be odd or stupid but I just wouldn’t feel good.

Lauren350, RoadRunnerPerth and Islay like this.
  11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Shares are anonymous.
    The other thing is, if a person is desperate, if you buy from them you might save them from even worse pain. I don't like taking advantage of anybody either btw. If I've seen something on Gumtree way too cheap I might message them saying it's too cheap, or if I think it's worth more than what they ask I might just pay them what I think is fair, could be double what they are asking.

Rugrat, wylie and The Y-man like this.
  12. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Immigration is the last thing, we as a country, should be considering. With what has gone on worldwide, a rigorous evaluation is required to the cause and effect of such policy!
    Along with Australia being partially isolated from the rest of the world due to being an island, it is pretty evident that those with hemmed in populations haven't fared too well.
    Having more people to deal with in catastrophic situations is certainly not ideal.

13. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Other than being stuck working interstate for a couple of months I'm otherwise unaffected. I've actually had a short term pay rise however with potentially 1.5 million unemployed and 5m on job keeper this will affect everyone. We just don't know it yet.

MTR and TAJ like this.
  14. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Especially us old pensioners.