Was your risk management sufficient coming into Covid-19 Crisis?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Blueskies, 20th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Vine Street

Vine Street Active Member

I used to run a very strict budget, and then for the last 7 or 8 years haven't worried about it as we were earning comfortably more than we were spending, and with significant cash reserves. The last 3-4 years we've really been spending far too much, so in the last few weeks have absolutely slashed and burned every expense we have - I estimate we have reduced expenses by approximately 75%. We'll maintain that for the rest of the year and see where things are at.

One of Barefoots great tips is if getting your finances in order, first thing have $2000 in cash for when you need it (unexpected bills) - even more important than paying down credit card debt. Really if you don't have 3 months worth of expenses up your sleeve then you'll get into trouble...

Amazing how many people spend everything they earn and always struggle to pay off their credit card. Wouldn't matter if they got a $10-$20k payrise or even a $50k one they'll just spend it

I do like the Quarterly Net worth idea - what do you do to estimate the value of your properties each quarter?

kierank likes this.
  2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I just use rent divided by yield for the most part. From time to time, a comparable is sold nearby so I see how close my valuation is the the sold price.

3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

kierank has seen my spreadsheet - it's a cracker. I track our net worth each month. (It's about time i found a way to positively compare myself to him)

Well except the last two months since I saw how much our shares and Super dipped in March. I'm not going there for a few more months but you get the picture.

*And no, I still haven't created a section for Depreciation. I like the surprises at tax time.

kierank likes this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I reckon one of the biggest buffer any young person can have is stable job....

I assume that's a $ perspective - but you gain invaluable experience and knowledge. All a critical part of investing.

The Y-man

kierank likes this.
  5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I've seen it too.
    I'm the opposite though... I don't like to monitor it.

I just look at the total amount I owe CBA and monitor that, and look at my super balance most days.

Illusivedreams and wylie like this.
  6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Yeah but you are the chic who was reminding us how your net wealth was increasing by $1000 a day a few years ago in Sydney while the rest of the country just went Ahem.

7. Gockie

Love the (Sydney) booms :)

8. kierank

I need to sit down with you and have a firm chat (over coffee) about just monitoring debt.

For most of my working life, our debt mainly went up.

IMHO, monitoring debt is not really that useful.

Even after being in retirement for nearly 10 years, our debt is higher now than any time when I was working. A lot higher.

Monitoring Net Worth is what I believe is the name of the game.

9. Gockie

Over the last couple of years, all the Sydney properties have gone up in value. Got equity sitting in them. So I sleep well.

kierank likes this.
  10. kierank

Time to take on more debt :p.

Angel and Gockie like this.
  11. Gockie

Being conservative. Just share purchasing. :)

kierank likes this.
  12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Here, give her some of mine. Time to share the love.

*For those who dont know her in person, Gockie is extremely generous.

13. Gockie

@kierank! Here's an idea, you can take on some of @Angel's debt, I'm sure you can handle it ;)

As to extremely generous... that would be a complete exaggeration.
    But if I have extra stuff I don't need, I think it's better to give it away, see that it goes to a home that might use it.

So, I've given away things like a 3 year old TV, bed frames, bedding, sheets, towels, blankets, household goods, fridges etc. Coincidentally just yesterday I donated a mattress protector and quilt cover set for the homeless!

Oh, an idea @Angel. If there's anything of mine still at your place, if you want to do something with it (give it away or sell it) please go for it.

I saw a kid (turns out he was in year 9) trying to work on his volleyball skills in the park behind my parent's place on Saturday. His ball was really hard. So I gave him my number, said to him to text me for volleyballs, I have extras and can give him some. Anyway, when we got back to my parents place, I found a good (as in, soft) beach volleyball just in the room. I went back to the park and gave it to him. (My brother in law is also a player, i'm sure it was his ball, he played a couple of seasons in the AVL (Australian Volleyball League), and has been named in the All Stars team of the Sydney Volleyball League's highest division. Only problem is you don't get paid to play here on this country.)
    Anyway, my family can cope with one less ball around.
    I've also given unicycles to neighbours... Spread the joy. So, if I have things to give that I don't need and could be appreciated by other people, then why not?

I like to donate time with helping the local theatre too. They get a person to help with set building, and I gain friendships and skills. Win-win. Just nothing's going on there right now :(

And when the borders open, please do make your trip to Sydney!

Last edited: 11th May, 2020
    New Town and frankjeager like this.
  14. kierank

When I borrowed/refinanced $1M last year, it took the bank four months to approve it. Lending that sort of money to an old pensioner like me must have been scary for them.

Six loans all Interest Only also probably didn't make it easy for them (but I am persistent - I never take No for an answer if I really want/deserve something). So, I guess I am probably maxed out.

So, why I would love to help @Angel out, I believe I would be pushing "cow manure up hill", especially in the current environment.
    Is that invite for me or for @Angel ?

Vine Street likes this.
  15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I've tweaked my retirement strategy to ensure I have an even larger cash float offsetting my loans (7 figures minimum). That's what this pandemic has taught me.

kierank likes this.
  16. Gockie

Both! But maybe not at the same time ;)

kierank likes this.
  17. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

My old man is a Dentist of 40 years. So I can appreciate this. Never underestimate the power of a good set of chompers.

[​IMG]

18. kierank

It took me a while to work out which one was the male :p

wilso8948 likes this.
  19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

What was the topic again?

20. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Good point!

Well an update - so far we have been hit about 10% of our net worth - mostly in the ASX traded securities.

There has been surprisingly little impact on our rent (thank God!!) so that part of the doomsday scenario has not come to pass (yet?).

Dividend income from the banks and shopping centres are (and will be) obviously impaired.

Our loan repayments have not been affected in any way at this point.

The Y-man