Was having a great family outing ...until...

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Sackie, 12th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If you are alone and can get away safely - run. I know I would have if possible.

2. Gav

Gav Well-Known Member

Yes, agreed, even world champion boxers give this advice!

Sackie likes this.
  3. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

You'd probably need to be very proficient at one of the martial arts to confidently take on more than 1 aggressor in a fight because it would rely in incapacitating them as quickly as possible with well placed striking.

I'm by no means a boxer but do boxing training and am a very explosive, powerful hitter. That might be ok in a 1 on 1 situation (I certainly wouldn't fight more than 1 at a time) but if I can't end it on two feet and you got me on the ground in a grappling situation I'm totally done for. Likewise I'm a gonner against anyone with a knife or with decent martial art skills. If I were to connect and end it on two feet then I could be looking at a criminal record.

Still 1000 reasons to run or de-escalate even if you're stronger, larger or a better than average fighter. That said it's good to know something for those unavoidable situations- I've had two separate occassions where I had to get physical with men assaulting women on nights out.

wylie and Sackie like this.
  4. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

I see, so I should change my mind on learning kungfu but do more jogging and marathon... :D

Sackie likes this.
  5. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Something like this?

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Imho it's great to learn martial arts, probably the more practical ones such as ninjitsu, krav maga, among others. It one day could save your life or a loved one. Many good reasons to learn martial arts. :)

With regards to running away, the primary goal when confronted in a hostile situation is to escape unharmed if possible. If running away is your best option then that's the right move. I say this having many years of training as well as serving in the military for 2 years overseas ( though you can't run away in a combat situation). As a civilian, only if you're left without a choice should you attempt to use your training. Because once you engage in violence, things can go wrong very quickly.

George Smiley, Observer and wylie like this.
  7. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Perhaps, let the shops that you purchased from know?
    They will want you to feel safe enough to come back?
    Goodness knows businesses have had a tough enough time.
    I hope this helps

Sackie likes this.
  8. Gav

Gav Well-Known Member

well, if anyone is on the Northern Beaches and wants to come for a roll drop me a line....

George Smiley and Sackie like this.
  9. Astute Investor

Astute Investor Well-Known Member

Sorry for a late bump but this story is one of the most crazy things i have ever read. As someone who lived near Campbelltown i was shocked that you would get hassled by youths during the day. These kind of dregs are a real nightime feature, but dont come out during the daytime.

On a side note was the finger to the throat and kick to the groin real? That is some real Steven Seagal stuff and seems a little fanciful against three attackers. Reminds me of my brother who would come home from a Saturday night and tell stories of his epic karate fights with bouncers. Unfortunate for him he couldnt fight his way out of paper bag and a side eye from the bouncer would have needed him to change pants.

10. Astute Investor

Astute Investor Well-Known Member

Lol this is like the start of Con Air or when people say their hands are dangerous weapons. I think you have been watching too many movies. However the whole thread is a real great read, so keep these stories coming.

11. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear. What a bunch of low lives.

Last edited by a moderator: 20th Jan, 2022
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Old news now we're totally over it but still sucks it happens.

Last edited by a moderator: 20th Jan, 2022
    jaybean likes this.